Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
terrible market to sell

Posted by nana8 (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 24, 09 at 13:29

We are trying to sell an old victorian, located just north of Lexington, Ky.. The home is completely remodeled, leaving the old chearteristic, tall ceilings, 4 fireplaces, etc.. The market is just terrible and we are not even having any viewings. Is everyone having these problems, or just our select group of older home lovers. It is priced below the appraisal price, and still no luck. Any sugestions??

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: terrible market to sell

Consider posting this in the "Buying ad Selling Homes forum, which is a more active forum than this one.

o

The market is just terrible and we are not even having any viewings. Is everyone having these problems

Bless your heart. It is not just you. The entire country has been in a real estate crisis for a couple of years.

o

We're in the same boat. We've had our 1916 Craftsman home on the market for 7 months. Not one viewing. We've done major repair work (electrical, plumbing, 2 new furnaces, 2 new A/Cs, new roof, new kitchen, updated baths, refinished woodwork and floors, and on and on!

I work for a RE firm, and homes are just not selling. Vacant land and farms are the only thing moving. One home in our town sold last week. Older home in need of very major repairs one a busy highway. Sold for $30,000! Seems even first time buyers are reluctant, despite all the incentives.

o

Depending on how badly you want to sell, have you considered advertising in an older homes magazine? (Bungalow, Victorian, etc.) If your house is beautifully period, at least it will be your target audience!

Carla in Sac

o

Thanks everyone for your comments. It is a one story victorian, with all the updated bells and whistles, with 11 ft ceilings, transom windows, hardwood floors, 4 fireplaces. I will try some of your sugestions, as I am desperate to move back to my family because of poor health.

o

Your house sounds wonderful!
Good luck.
kathy

o

Ugh. I too had a hard time selling an old Victorian just north of Lexington, but it was about 15 years ago!

Hang in there.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here