Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
1840emmy

sheetrocking over wood walls?

1840emmy
10 years ago

Hi, I am new here and have a question, actually lots of questions, but my first question is about whether I can or should sheetrock over the walls of an 1840 house I purchased recently.

The walls are like nothing I have ever seen, they are slats that run horizontally, and do not fit well together. At all.

They really look like someone took shipping pallets, deconstructed them, and used those pieces of wood to make a wall.

We discovered this after ripping off the wallpaper in the stairwell and one of the bedrooms, now we see why the prior owners had covered them up! Some of the boards are a very dark brown or almost black. We have no idea what the dark coloring is.

Other bedrooms have brown paneling, which is probably covering up more of this same type of wood wall.

Our question is: can we just sheetrock over them? If we can, what is the best way to do that? Has anyone done that, and how did it turn out?

If sheetrocking is a bad idea, what would you recommend we do instead?

We would paint the walls, but since the wood slats are not uniform, and there are some rather huge gaps between the boards and from end to end, that would not look very good.

We could also wallpaper, but wallpaper is really expensive and not as easy to change as paint over sheetrock.

Thanks so much, we love the house but boy oh boy, does it need some work!

Comments (7)