Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chipster_2007

Give me a Name of a Good Door Lock Installation Jig?

chipster_2007
12 years ago

I am planning on installing a few dead bolt locks and all the reviews I have read regarding various jigs to use have been disappointing? Reviews for DeWalt, Ryobi,Milescraft and lowe's brand have been disappointing. Are there any other quality manufacturers I have missed? Thanks

Comments (9)

• Billl
    12 years ago

I got the box store jig and it was functional. Not great, but functional. Basically, anything plastic is just acting a visual guide, so you still need to be controlling the bit.

When I was looking at then - Porter-cable had a nice, adjustable metal kit, but the thing costs $200. Ouch! You have to do a lot of doors for that to be worth it.

• chipster_2007
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Bill. You are absolutely right.

• snoonyb
    12 years ago

Part of the problem with the average DIY having anything sharp in their hands, is a lack of experience which in-turn results in inaccuracy, wobbling and the resultant, frustration.

With a little patience, you can assemble your own. That, a couple of "C" clamps, and accuracy in handling a drill motor will suffice.

With experience, you can develop sufficient talent that a jig can be eliminated.

Since I now only use them occasionally, I've sold my KWICK SET jig and have both the RYOBI and DEWALT and find the DEWALT more substantial.

• chipster_2007
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Snooyb for your input. I have one question though, if a home made jig is adequate, why bother with Ryobi or Dewalt?

• columbusguy1
    12 years ago

Chip, the answer is obvious to me: people want the easy way out and have the feeling that if it isn't 'professionally' made and costs bucks, then it isn't as good.

A simple square laid alongside the drill will tell you if it is perpendicular, and that should be enough to do it by eye...a door isn't really that thick, and if you don't gun the motor, it will remain in line. :)

• kudzu9
    12 years ago

Drilling the edge for the bolt has never seemed too difficult. The large hole in the face is where I am careful. You can do this pretty accurately without a jig. I use a square to mark the center on both sides of the door (and make sure to compensate for the edge bevel). Then I drill in halfway from each side with an 1/8" drill. If you eyeball it carefully and go slowly the holes should meet or come close to doing so. Then I get out my hole drill and again drill in halfway from both sides. Doing it this way prevents getting the breakout you would get if you just went straight through, and it also lessens the drift you get if you are a little off from being perfectly perpendicular to the face of the door.

Another option that has worked well for me is to make my own simple jig. If you have a drill press, cut a hole with your hole saw in a 3/4" thick board. Attach a cleat to the edge of the board so that the center of the hole is in the right place when the cleat rests against the edge of the door. Use a couple of non-marring clamps to hold the jig in place while you drill the door.

• snoonyb
    12 years ago

chipster_2007

In my present occupation i'm confronted with two different door thicknesses as well as two different set-backs, and I'm required to perform in a soup-to-nuts menu, carrying that many separate jigs is cumbersome, at best

• chipster_2007
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Good Luck snoonyb. Sounds like you got a lot of tools to manage. BTW, since I am a novice at this, I don't want to make a mistake. I did buy the DeWalt jig and it seems quite adequate. I have drilled my holes without any slippage of the jig as was mentioned on some of the amazon reviews. Now I just have to cut the mortises and install the lock. Feels like a piece of cake.

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

For the knob hole use the pattern that came with the lock set, and spot the center with a smaller drill bit.

Drill through from one side until the pilot bit breaks through on the other side, then switch sides and the holes will align perfectly.
    The pilot bit goes in the through hole on the off side to align everything, and the small damage area from the pilot bit exiting is removed anyway.

High speed is NOT your friend with large diameter hole saws.

I often use a large 1/2 inch drill that has a low enough speed to do the job.