Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
help with exterior of old stone school house

Posted by muffler (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 5, 09 at 13:10

Hi, we're looking for some help with redoing the exterior of a stone house (originally schoolhouse) which we added to. We changed the window and door size so probably don't want to leave original stone as some is now missing. We are considering stone front with siding around sides, or cape cod wood siding with crown molding over door and windows, or partial stone and wood siding. Any suggestions? Can email pics. (don't know how to post) Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: help with exterior of old stone school house

Found a site to use for pics. for stone house

Here is a link that might be useful: http://i37.tinypic.com/102po9c.jpg

o

It's an interesting little house and I love to see old country schoolhouses being saved and made into homes and loved. I have one down the country road from me, and I have had customers relate to how they walked across the fields between us with buckets in the morning to go to our spring head and pull up water for the school to use during the day.

I'm sure this is going to be darling when you finish. Just a comment, however. I don't believe this structure is quarried stone. At least from the photograph is looks to be a concrete block, a designer type, textured on the outside to resemble stone. Our county has a lot of quarries near the river and stone and concrete product manufactories and I've seen this product before in early twentieth century buildings. It's just got a finish too consistent to be stone.

It looks to me as if you have 'dropped' the level of the windows and I'm wondering how you are going to finish off the space above where they used to be? And around the door?

Good luck on your project, I have no suggestions yet. Keep us abreast of your work, will you? It's fun to watch old structures come back to life.

o

Are you sure it's real stone and not cast store or rusticated concrete masonry units?

o
type of block on school house

Thanks for your replies. You're right-it is a manufactured block. We neglected to use the right term as everyone around here always called it the old stone school house. We have pretty much decided to use cape cod wood siding as other older school houses used that around here and seems to be less expensive than our other options. Will post a picture when it's done. Thanks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here