Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Enclosed porches - what type of door?

Posted by maureeninmd (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 24, 11 at 13:09

It is common in this area to see porches on old houses that have been enclosed at some point. They are often pretty ugly, but it is easy to understand why people do this.

My back porch was enclosed a long time ago and has a ugly vinyl storm door that opens outwards, as usual. I'd like to replace this door with something more attractive. I am unsure whether I should get a better-looking storm door or use a wood exterior door (that usually open inwards). The door frame is only about 33" wide.

This is a 1930s center-hall colonial. The back door is used 95% of the time. Door opening is only about 33". Front and back house doors are 12-paned wood doors. Most windows are 6 over 6.

Any ideas, pictures, suggestions?

Thanks
Maureen

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Enclosed porches - what type of door?

Maureen, a picture would be of great help, as you don't say HOW the porch has been done; is it with screen only, or glass--and what type of windows they are? The rest of the house having 6/6 is not much help if the porch isn't also done with those.

I'd try to match the house's main doors, so that later on, you might do the rest of the enclosure in such a way that it matches the style of the rest of the house.

o

I forgot to mention that important detail - the enclosure is modern sliding windows at the top and wall at the bottom. Rebuilding this enclosure is not on our to-do list (it's too long already).

o

Maureeninmd,

We'd like to add an enclosed porch to our home eventually, and I have a house near me with a very attractive glassed-in porch. DH has our camera out of town, with him, so I can't take a pic to post. Basically, It has a series of 9 over 6 windows on 3 sides, with 1 window omitted and a door instead. The door is a very solid, older, wooden storm door that opens into the porch. They seem to have a screen panel and a glass panel for the door which they change with the seasons. The door itself has 1 largish raised panel at the botton, and the interchangable part takes up about 3/4 of the door height. Sorry if my description seems muddled.
Good Luck

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here