Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rudebekia

Sewing Room? 1915 Craftsman

Rudebekia
9 years ago

My 1915 Midwest Craftsman home has three bedrooms and an extra room on the second floor. The extra room is quite small (9 x 10), has no closet, and has windows along two sides.The house faces south and the room is in the NE corner. I've been calling it a sun room but have heard it referred to as a sewing room. Does anyone know what these rooms were called in the original plans and/or used for? Thanks.

Comments (4)

• lavender_lass
    9 years ago

It may well have been a sewing room, used for sewing :)

Many women used to (and often still do) sew and need a small space for their sewing machine, sewing items, etc.

The other options might have been nursery, lady's writing room, small bedroom for help...really there are many options. All I know for sure...my mom would love to have a sewing room!

• eaga
    9 years ago

I did a little bit of research on this as I have a tiny room (smaller than yours) on the second floor of my 1876 Second Empire style home. I've seen such rooms called sewing rooms, dressing rooms, ladies fainting rooms, nurseries, trunk rooms (for storing luggage), servant rooms, and just plain storage. What they were actually used for I don't know, but I do like the idea of having a fainting room, with a fainting couch, to which I might retire when I get the vapors :).

• chibimimi
    9 years ago

Just a thought -- do the windows pretty much take up the lengths of the walls? If so, it could be a sleeping porch, used when the weather was warm. They usually have windows on two side for ventilation and are found on the north side of the home.

• Rudebekia
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, the windows fill up two sides of wall. So I also thought of a sleeping porch--or, the MN version of a sleeping porch which is 4 season and enclosed!