Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Insulation in attic

Posted by rajdawg (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 4, 12 at 10:58

I live in an one story home that had a master bedroom added to it by the previous owners. The problem is that the bedroom is so DARN HOT during the summer and cold during the winter. There is only one HVAC duct running to the space that is about 250 sq ft so im sure that has something to do with it, but even at times when our heat or ac is off there is a 10-15 degree difference between the main floor and the finished attic space.

When we first moved in I had my brother in law put blow in some more insulation hoping that would help the problem. Two years later that has not gotten the job done. I am seriously doubting if there is insulation on the knee walls that surround our room(I cant remember from when I was up there last)

I am having some insulation contractors come out to give bids on how they could help imrpove the issue. I am looking at foam.

What should I look out for or keep in mind as these contractors come

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Insulation in attic

One thing to look for is how well that bedroom floor is insulated at the sides and kneewalls. We had a dormered bedroom in a built-out attic, and it was freezing despite all attempts to add more insulation to the attic, until we figured out that the sides of the bedroom floors were open to the front porch roof. Turns out we had winter wind just whistling along below our feet through what had been the old 'ceiling' of the house.

So: doublecheck the entire envelope of the house, especially the bedroom floor cavity/rim joists in basement/floor and sides of the attic where the walls meet the roof -- make sure that any junctures that are open to the outside get well sealed with spray foam, foam board or caulk.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here