Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
autumngal_gw

How about an exterior color scheme for an 1898 Colonial Revival?

autumngal
14 years ago

I've been inspired by Victoriandream to bring my obsession to finding the right colors for my house here.

We live in an 1898 Colonial Revival. Because of the large interior and exterior elements of American Foursquare and Victorian styles, my friend who is a historic preservationist has been encouraging me to look at those styles for inspiration (and has been lending me amazing books to help).

I've been inspired and have many color schemes that I would love, the main problem is my neighbor's homes. They are beautifully painted, but it so happens that no matter what color I choose, it seems to look like one house or the other. On the one side, anything green or grey looks just like this house:

On the other, anything yellow or brown looks like this house:

I believe the house originally was grey, with possibly white trim (can't see on the actual trim under the layers, but the porch rails were white) and forest green sashes. When I did a run with these colors- the sash color is entirely experimental- my son said in shock "I don't want to grow up in a grey house!!!" With the dark trim, it also looks lots like my next door neighbor's house:

Any ideas or suggestions? Our stained glass in the front is pink and blue, the stained glass on the side is mainly yellows.

Thanks so much!

Comments (3)