Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How about an exterior color scheme for an 1898 Colonial Revival?

Posted by autumngal (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 8, 09 at 10:19

I've been inspired by Victoriandream to bring my obsession to finding the right colors for my house here.

We live in an 1898 Colonial Revival. Because of the large interior and exterior elements of American Foursquare and Victorian styles, my friend who is a historic preservationist has been encouraging me to look at those styles for inspiration (and has been lending me amazing books to help).

Photobucket

I've been inspired and have many color schemes that I would love, the main problem is my neighbor's homes. They are beautifully painted, but it so happens that no matter what color I choose, it seems to look like one house or the other. On the one side, anything green or grey looks just like this house:

Photobucket

On the other, anything yellow or brown looks like this house:

Photobucket

I believe the house originally was grey, with possibly white trim (can't see on the actual trim under the layers, but the porch rails were white) and forest green sashes. When I did a run with these colors- the sash color is entirely experimental- my son said in shock "I don't want to grow up in a grey house!!!" With the dark trim, it also looks lots like my next door neighbor's house:

Photobucket

Any ideas or suggestions? Our stained glass in the front is pink and blue, the stained glass on the side is mainly yellows.

Thanks so much!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How about an exterior color scheme for an 1898 Colonial Reviv

What about a blue, or gray-blue? Or a muted yellow or butterscotch? There are an infinite amount of colors that you could use and not look like your neighbors. Even if you just lighten or darken a color in neighbors homes, you could make your house different with trim colors. It comes down to your taste, the style of your home and the color of the roof. Did you see some combinations that you like in your friends book? Try some out on an inconspicuous part of the house. Don't loose heart; we have been trying out colors for a year and still haven't painted!!!
Diane

o

I was thinking blue as well, with a blue/gray deeper trim on the sashes and maybe highlight with either white or a rich plum. Your home is stately and needs to be strong (color wise) verses going too soft...I'm with your son on the all gray color scheme LOL but I do think a soft blue with deep gray would be gorgeous.

This little cottage is what I'm thinking as a highlight color...it's plum, but with enough gray to be elegant and not obnoxious purple :)

Here's a light blue, dark blue and the plum color together with white accents as well:

I think it would stand out and yet still fit the house style for you. just an idea :)

I have (somewhere) a picture of a house like yours as well...it's done in a pretty deep gad...not yellow, more gold, with a really rich amber trim. It was my husband's grandfathers home in MN. The colors together are pretty gorgeous, but it's classy...you could really screw that up by going too dark yellow and too red in the amber, but the two done right is pretty splendid....much more stand out than the blue and gray mind you, but still really gorgeous!

o

Thanks for the suggestions powermuffin and igloo they are so helpful. The pictures are amazing as well, Igloo, thank you! Fortunetly, my son has wavered a bit and now wouldn't mind so much growing up in a grey house. He's fickle. One would have thought he'd run away if I painted the house grey, now he likes it.

I really like that blue color combination- I'm going to keep playing with samples. If I get anywhere, I'll post my latest in the never ending rainbow on my house!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here