Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
graywings123

Milestone in old house ownership

graywings123
14 years ago

Yesterday I passed a milestone in owning an old house. A few weeks ago, at the urging of and guidance of people on this forum, I removed a couple windows in my 90 year old house to scrape, reglaze and repaint. I can't tell you how nervous I was as I started deconstructing the first window. But yesterday, I reassembled the windows and they work - woohoo!

There were a few mistakes along the way, and the finished windows show my learning curve, but I managed to do it without serious injury to myself or the house.

The windows cannot be seen except when you are standing on a lower roof. I'm sure the neighbors were wondering why I was standing on that roof staring at the windows with arms crossed and smiling.

Comments (5)

• antiquesilver
    14 years ago

I completely understand, having spent countless hours staring with satisfaction at the restored windows that took so many hours of work!

• trailrunner
    14 years ago

YEAH ! See my post on Decorating concerning redoing the wall around the pool at our 1890 home. a job well done is a job done by YOU !! YEAH again...hear me clapping ! c

• igloochic
    14 years ago

E gads windows have to be restored? Not until they're a good 200 years right? ::wiping forehead and then falling into a dead faint::

• powermuffin
    14 years ago

Good for you!!!! We also just finished our first window restoration. It was much easier than I thought. And boy, the results are so worth it.
    Diane

• blackcats13
    14 years ago

Oh congratulations!! I'm so happy for you!! I thought we were going to start on windows this year, but it's not to be. Any tips you want to pass along?

I envy and delight in your progress!