Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Where to get old trim to match and 5' rosettes??

Posted by sarahandbray (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 26, 06 at 9:53

Our kitchen is in the middle of being remodeled, and the GC says it's really hard to get the thick 5" trim I have around the doorways in this 1880's house as well as 5" rosettes (the largest at Lowe's/HD is 4").

Where do you guys get this stuff??

Sarah

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Where to get old trim to match and 5' rosettes??

We had the wide trim custom made by our carpenter - in our case, though, it was for base/floor molding. About 4-5 years ago, we bought a rosette router bit at Rockler - cost then about $85.00. I'd check with Rockler for the bit and have a carpenter custom make all that you need.

o

I did a Google search and found this place:

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.jjwohlferts.com/index.asp?category=176&count=1

o

Ask a local full-service lumberyard. They may be able to recommend someone who can make trim to match yours.

Years ago, when we needed matching baseboards, there was a local place with all the old millwork machines and cutters. They looked at a sample of our mouldings and made the exact baseboards.

Now we could do it ourselves with shaper blades.

One other option may be to build up the millwork from stock pieces. Our 150 year old door and window frames are built of 4 pieces of wood, plus pediments. This might work if your trim will be painted.

o

First first check the inside of all your closets. Sometimes you can find untouched trim there. I removed all the pristine period trim from inside my closets and replaced it with new wide trim. My closets are so stuffed no one can see the walls anyway. LOL.

o

Sarah,

Have you tried the Albany Historic Foundation parts warehouse on Livingston Ave? I often have good luck there. They're only open Wednesday through Saturday, don't know their holiday schedule, though. Good luck.

Molly~

o

I was involved in a project some years ago where trim was absolutely unavailable. The owners tried probably every restoration and salvage service on the east coast. Nothing.

The trimwork was apparently locally produced and completely custom.

So, the owner had the planer knifes he needed made custom ground by a man I knew who was a master tool and die maker and cut the replacement trim himself.

IIRC the total cost of the knife set was about $200 for knife stock and labor.

A custom millwork shop wanted $550 initial set up and $85 an hour for the knife making, then something like $45 a linear foot for the trim.

o

Vintage woodworks has some pretty good stuff. I'm linking below.

cumberland woodcraft also has some

o

Much, if not all, of the glorious work of Heartwood Carving is scalable, meaning they can make the item in the size of your choosing. They can also do custom work. http://www.heartwoodcarving.com

Here is a link that might be useful: Heartwood Carving

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here