Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Foundation leak/ledge

Posted by wianno (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 12, 05 at 8:13

I posted this question in the "building" section and recieved only one response. Since its about an existing house, I thought I might have better luck here.

I have a new addition that was poured on ledge. My problem is I have standing water puddled inside the crawlspace, and I want to get rid if it, but here is the problem:
Think a large flat rock. Now, carve a bowl into it about 3 feet in diameter and 1 foot deep in the middle. Now, pour a foundation through the middle of it, so 1/2 the bowl is inside and 1/2 is outside

The exterior foundation was backfilled with dirt and planted. What is happening is that water is leaching down and getting trapped in the "bowl" on the outside, and rising on the inside.

I am trying to figure what I can do. I would like to avoid a sump situation.

I was thinking to either fill the bowl inside with a bag or two of cement, or fill the outside bowl with cement. A french drain along the foundation exterior will not work well becuase not matter what I do, its still a low spot and water will not flow "uphill" and out of the "bowl".

I am also concerned that since the water is traveling between the poured fondation and the ledge, that the water between the two will freeze and potentially heave the foundation.

I am leaning to stop the water BEFORE it enteres the house.

Suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Foundation leak/ledge

Not an expert or anything, but if it were me, I think I'd fill both the inside and outside with concrete to eliminate the bowl. Then I'd check out waterproofing options to be sure that water did not seep through my new concrete. What do they call it, Murphy's Law? If something can go wrong it will? If a piece af bread smeared with jam falls on the floor it will almost always fall face down?
I think if you don't follow through on extra waterproofing you run the risk of cracks in the new concrete and water seeping in again.
Maybe there's some other suggestions from someone who has had some experience with concrete?

o

How 'bout hiring someone with a jack hammer to cut a channel in the edge of the exterior bowl.

I had ledge cutting across a french drain I installed in Virginia. We just cut through it with a pick and pry bar. It was hard work, and if we'd been in a harder rock area a jack hammer would have been required, which is why I suggested that.

In your case, you only need to cut a channel, so perhaps it would be easier.

Molly~

o

I have done just so on the other side of the house with great success. Unfortuntley, this won't work here as it just drains to a bigger bowl.

o

We recently had a similar problem, but we used trenchless pipe restoration. It is great - they use an epoxy pipeliner that repairs the inside of the pipe. It saved us a bunch of money.

It is a cool technology.

Edith

Here is a link that might be useful: Accurate Leak

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here