Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
casement windows: convert pushout stay operation to winder/crank

Posted by kaw1 (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 4, 08 at 7:42

is it possible to convert my 1920's timber casement windows from their current pushout stay operation to a winder mechanism? The stay is attached to the middle of the vertical edge of the window and i think a winder would need to go on the base of the window.

I really want to be able to lock the windows open and to install a fixed timber flyscreen to the windows and can't with the stay operation as a) they dont lock and b) the stay juts inside the room when the window is open.

installing a winder/crank is the only solution i can think of but i am not sure if this is feasible. any suggestions on how to do this or alternatives would be great.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: casement windows: convert pushout stay operation to winder/cr

I have a 1920 Bungalow with two casement windows.....They were "site built" using an off-the-shelf steel crank-operator.....

Here's a very similar BRASS operator.....the removable square-shaft handle passes thru a hole in your Interior-fixed-screen-wooden-frame to reach the operator......

Here is a link that might be useful: SWISSCO

o

thanks, this looks like it could work. are you happy with yours?

o

Oh.......I re-found my LINK to the Exact copy of the original 1920's operator....(alot more $$ than the Stamped-brass one above)

https://www.blainewindow.com//catalog/iteminfo.cfm?itemid=4662&compid=1

Very substantial.....easy to operate (and install)

Here is a link that might be useful: Blaine Casement operator

o

Here are a couple photos....Be kind.....remember these are 80+ years old.....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here