Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What Kind of House is This?

Posted by jordancc (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 5, 09 at 3:39

Built between 1895 and 1907 in San Francisco. Originally wood sided, some idiot stuccoed the front and stripped much of the gingerbread at some point. Ceilings are 11' high, rooms are spacious and square, wainscoting in halls and bath, 10" baseboards, picture rails but no crown molding. dining room is paneled, all millwork is redwood.
It all sounds very Edwardian-ish to me but the fireplaces are squat and simple- seem arts and crafts-ish . . .
Bonus Points! If anyone knows what the symbol on the front means, I'll send you a bottle of good wine!
FRONT OF HOUSE:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/30730394@N03/3983293330/
FIREPLACE (in the midst of being stripped, hence the weird speckled look):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/30730394@N03/3982561683/
FIREPLACE DETAIL (much easier to see than in fireplace wide shot):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/30730394@N03/3982560307/

Thanks!
Jordan

Here is a link that might be useful: Front of house

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What Kind of House is This?

Hi Jordan,
I think the symbol on the front of the house is a combination male and female symbol.
G.O.

o

What kind of house is this? A beautiful house!!! Lucky you.
Diane

o

The symbol on the front of your home is definately the antique "Send wine to Alaska" symbol, which hails from the age old tradition of sending a bottle of good wine to strangers in Alaska once a year to encourage them to never leave....Shall I provide you with an address so you can continue the tradition? :oP

I love the house...timing wise it's victorian of course, but even though you don't like the stucco change, it was done well. I'm with you on that fireplace, it seems to be a blend of victorian/craftsman....very cool. And is the flooring in your entry? It looks intriquing :)

o

What a cool house! That top curve looks Mission to me. Are you sure it was all wood sided? I'm assuming you are, but I have to ask because the stucco really goes with the shape of the house. However, to me, that symbol looks like it was put on later. Depending on when the stucco was put on, it's possible that they took the more Victorian ornament that was there, and put in the more arts and crafts ornament that is there now. It looks almost like a flipped Roycroft symbol. But not quite.

That's my very amateur guess. I'm hoping that I'm close to right so I have a shot at the wine. In fact, I'm so pleased with myself, I may just go ahead and give myself a glass tonight- thanks for the excuse Jordan! Keep us posted with photos.

Here is a link that might be useful: Roycroft

o

The stucco reminds me of a mission style Queen Anne (no, seriously) on Green Street around Buchanan in San Francisco.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here