Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeffcat_gw

Confused by what 'type' of style this house is...pics

jeffcat
12 years ago

Long story, short, my parents live in a small town(2.5 sq miles) with an almost exclusively German background to the city in NW Ohio. They are looking to purchase a "new" house and were looking at a big Queen Anne(somewhat), but at 6,000+ sq ft and 2 people...it's kind of out of question. However, I have been trying to entice them to go for this home instead. It's still much too big at 4,300 sq ft, but has a lot of beauty to it and the previous owners did a much better job than I expected in their resto of it, compared to what I see happen to most old homes around here. In short, It's probably one of my favorite houses in the small town and being in a small town it is an ABSOLUTE STEAL compared to if it was in my city of Columbus, Ohio....where it would EASILY go for 4 times what it is listed at in their town.

It's an 1899 home and does have a turret, but oddly enough is mostly rectangular architecture. You can see the clusters of 3 windows on the sides of the house towards the back. According to the property report the porch was added in 1920, but I noticed all property reports have that marked as 1920, so I'm presuming the porch is all original(1899) and they just updated the record in 1920 for home additions. That interested me because of the large columns on the home. The other thing that puzzles me is how the turret has no traditional coned roofing like you see on Queen Anne homes. At first, I thought it might have just been storm damage and they never replaced it, but I noticed numerous other homes in the town have similar turrets also without any "coned" roofing to make a point. Given the 1899 year and all the confusion associated with the structure, I was GUESSING it was a Neoclassical, but I'm no expert on homes, hence why I was asking for the help on it. Here are some pics and videos of it(copy/paste).

http://img1.governmax.com/RoverDocuments/AllenPicsC7-09-21013_tagJPG_large_000_4EC6B8549D46492387A4BFDC36AA5C74_V_5.jpg

http://img1.governmax.com/RoverDocuments/P0000017V0006242JPG_large_000_94DC69F7292B455588249CF8A17A0E9F_V_4.jpg

http://www.soarr.com/dealerphotos/cowanrealtors/63596970.jpg

http://www.videomemoriesinc.com/postcard.php?houseid=2180

Comments (13)

• tinker_2006
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I'm not an expert in style of homes, but it sure is a beauty! I looked up the description and price... I don't know the area, but it would be a steal here in FL (but then again, I can't recall ever seeing such a house here)

WOW! Super condition for this 1899 home. 14.3 x 16 music room w/cedar floor & cove ceilings, dining room original painted leather ceiling, sycamore woodwork, rosewood & curly maple woodwork, lined chimney, reverse osmosis system, tankless gas water heater, corn burner, stainless steel appliances, original chandeliers, walnut floor in back entry, finished room over the garage, 4.10 x 15.10 widows walk, natural woodwork thru-out, 33.10 x 33.12 finished 3rd floor & much more

• jeffcat
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks. My sister does real estate in the town and makes a good living off doing so, but it's a shame that all the old homes go for practically nothing. Nobody seems to have the $$$, ambition, or creativity to deal with them and they just don't even consider them for new build, beige walls, white trim homes that are characterless in my opinion. There are dozens of homes in the town that just don't get any attention. :(

Anyways, some of the pics weren't working so I just uploaded them and the video is in the link for the interior if there is anything interesting or unique to speak of that might stick out about it.

From Desktop

Here is a link that might be useful: 1899 House interior video

• columbusguy1
    12 years ago

The house is definitely not a Queen Anne--it's a Colonial Revival with neoclassical detailing and even a touch of German baroque. Not every turret had a conical roof--there are some even here in Columbus with mansard styles, and probably one or two with flat ones.

It is a pity that some trim has been removed to be replaced by baseboard heating though. Could you post the link for the property so we can all drool over the price?

• jeffcat
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The baseboard heating was put in before these guys purchased the home in 2007? It was one of those terrible periods of time, much like the homes in Columbus...when the sprawl occurred and people just jostled around with everything with little regard to the architecture.

I appreciate the insight though. It did strike me as a mix of multiple styles though, because I've never quite seen a house like it in the historic areas of Columbus and figured I would of passed by a few in German Village.

The plot of land that comes with it is nothing that far off from Columbus and it's along a chain of a few other grand old homes along Lincoln Highway(5th Street in town). At 4,300 sq ft and with a garage in the shape it's still in, it would go for WAAAY more than 255K in a Columbus historical district. That's chump change around there and buys you a nice smaller cottage house in German Village. Sadly, this home has been on the market for over a year now. I'm not the realtor so I can't say, but given what I have heard, it just hasn't had a lot of hits on it. Small town people just cringe in fear of these big monsters and this is only one of many old homes that have a terrible time selling around here :(. I have my own reservations for why that might be, but I think I might offend a few people if I said as to why. ;) Hopefully, I can entice the parents into purchasing it and/or there is a worthy buyer for it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Listing

• jeffcat
    Original Author
    12 years ago

On another note, would this be considered "Georgian" Revival styling. I was under the impression Georgian Revival was just a type of Colonial Revival, but I could be wrong.

• sombreuil_mongrel
    12 years ago

The moniker "Free Classical" has been applied to houses with Queen Anne bones (asymmetry, turret, victorian exuberance) but with neoclassical detailing, like ordered columns, swags, garlands, denticulate cornicework, etc.
    Casey

• jeffcat
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the info guys. I actually took the parent's dogs on a walk today and snapped off a few other pics of some of the older homes in the town just for viewing pleasure. Some are in nice shape, and others in dire need.

The town gained fame from the Miami-Erie Canal system

Probably the most noticeable structure is the 1880 Romanesque church. It's enormous for such a small town.

My sister's reality office. The home was to a famous family and the home was relocated here about a decade ago...quite a task

Trees are in the way of this one.

This 1902 home is in disrepair...the NIH lists it as Queen Anne architecture. Hard to believe but the son of the original owner still lives there...saw him out there today...he is quite old and fraile which might explain why the home has fallen into disrepair...well into his 90s.

This is the 6000 sq ft 1904 home my parents were also considering...used to be a funeral home...lovely home, but just absurdly too big for 2 people.

Down the corner

Newer home than the others with pillars

Plenty of red/orange brick in town.

Newer home with nice flair to it

The only home I've seen in town that has that kind of turret and the conical roof to boot...most don't have the cone.

Simple, old, german....would benefit from some color in landscaping

This is a bizarre home. Not sure of the age, but the windows almost make me think Second Empiresque, although I doubt it is.

The 1899 home that I want the parents to purchase

The neighboring home is quite nice as well.

Nothing special, but a nice old home.

Same here

This home is in the process of being restored, but is beautifully depicted with the perennial garden and ORIGINAL gating in great condition.

Big old home next to my elementary school...still remember that house from when I was at school as a kid.

I like the quaintness and simplicity of the small cottage homes.

Lots of work needs done here....but at least they are doing it.

I don't believe the porch was original XD

Tastefully done home with solid landscaping and maintenance.

I almost missed this little house. It's in disrepair and could REALLY use some color on the house or in the yard to spruce up it's image.

Haha are those tombstones?

It's kind of rare to see color.

This home intrigues me. Supposedly the old fire chief used to live there. The age and architectural design is unknown to me.

I like the wrap around shingles...makes it look a lot more cottagy.

Arguably the best well kept old home in town and some color to boot.

The Lang house is one of the oldest homes in the city. Built in 1859, it was owned by the Lang family...who owned it from 1859-2010 before having to sell it. From what I have heard, it's completely original on the inside apart from modern advancements. I'd like to see how new build homes would look after 152 years haha. It needs some work, but it's a beautiful home and was purchased for only 110K. According the the NIH, it's an Italian Villa styling.

Back to red brick

This one is unique for the area, despite it being a German area.

Downtown has the old hotel...now a nice furniture store. It was one of the nicest in the state of Ohio when it was constructed.

Most of the old downtown buildings are still there...although many vacant and in disrepair.

Quite a few are still in good shape though.

Building on the left is an 1872 build.

Hope you enjoyed it at least. Never gets old seeing old homes and getting the taste of some of small town old homes.

• civ_IV_fan
    12 years ago

WOW!!!!! thanks for taking us on a tour. I grew up in NW Ohio myself and I am always amazed to see a McMansion sell for more than some of the beauties posted here. The woodwork alone in the first house is worth more than probably any new construction home on the market.

You're lucky to have your anchor building - the old hotel. The downtown overall looks pretty good and could be far worse.

Maybe I'm just optimistic today, but I think many of the more rural small towns are in the early phases of "getting it" with regards to their key assets - typically old, awesome business districts and the core residential areas. The Wal-Mart thing hit these small towns really only in the last 20 years, and the damage done is clear and apparent to most local residents. It really transcends politics.

• jeffcat
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Our town is a bit of a conflict with itself all the time. In recent years, it seems they have gotten a few more businesses to populate some of the old downtown buildings. Before then, it was basically completely vacant with nothing to speak of. I always think of a Short North in Columbus in terms of use for the town or a Delaware, OH. Unfortunately, many of the residents in the city are straight descendants from the original people that were here when the town was founded in 1844, but their tastes have somewhat changed. In less artsy towns, like my hometown, people tend to have little to no appreciation for the architecture or homeliness of the old homes with character. If they have money to buy a house, they would much rather just go with something that seems modern and because it's modern, they tend to think it's "better"...which couldn't be farther from the truth. That's not to mention the paranoia of many people with concern to maintenance, utilities, and de facto landscaping plots of a few hostas and boxwoods that require no work. It lacks creativity, character, and quite frankly sounds kind of lazy haha. When sealed up properly, those old thick brick homes are better insulated than any modern home you will find.

Probably the best example would be my sister who built a new home from the ground up in 2006....custom built....actually has decent character for a new build home. Even so, this year they have decided to sell it. The home seems kind of boring and lifeless by their tastes and they want something with more character and homely values, so they are in the process of hand building a REAL log cabin out in the country, since it has more character.

• civ_IV_fan
    12 years ago

Jeffcat - believe me, I know exactly what you mean. I grew up about an hour north of there in what sounds and looks like a very similar town. When you get outside of the influence of the metro areas, things get really different.

I remember when they put in a taco bell, it was considered the greatest thing in the world and a sign of "progress" - nobody seemed to think that it meant the downtown diner of 50 years would have even more reason to close up shop. But i think the pendulum is swinging.

regarding new builds, the quality in these little towns is actually often pretty good. You have a couple of local builders who value craftsmanship and really do try to put out a good product.

• jeffcat
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm actually all for the small town expanding with business. The main reason being is it attracts more business and potential outsiders that would be interested in fixing, maintaining, and appreciating these old homes and also might provide somebody with the $$$ to do it. Let's face it, most people in a 2.5 sq mile town don't have nearly the finances/confidence of somebody in Columbus, OH as a CEO of Nationwide Insurance or another business.

One nice thing about the town is the private businesses tend to do well. I do feel bad for some of the outsiders that try to start good businesses in town though. You almost need to have a name for yourself or a recognizable name to do well...it's a lot of word of mouth. I'd like to see more interesting and grander things for my hometown, but ironically enough, a lot of the "old guard" are the ones holding back the old homes from getting a second chance at life. Oh well...that's why I enjoy the living in Columbus :) Hopefully the parents take interest in that home though. After some research, I've still had a hard time finding another home quite like it in terms of porch/portico design and the 2nd floor portico is accessible from an open hinged original window...going to assume that's not original but nice nonetheless and almost unnoticeable unless you spot the hinges. The balustrade on top of the home is accessible. I wouldn't mind going up there sometime. I bet you can see nearly the entire town. The yard might be small, but with a large porch, a 2nd floor accessible portico, and a 3+ floor walkway on TOP of the house...I could live with it haha.

• trailrunner
    12 years ago

What a treat . I grew up in Deshler, OH. Not many big old homes left there. I did get to stay at a BandB in Napolean OH while in the area and it was really nice. I saw some truly lovely homes there. You are right though when you comment on some remodels...dropped ceilings and tile added and the fire places closed up and ....well you know.

A wonderful tour and thank you. I live in an 1890 in Opelika AL in the historic district. Just had to have an old home :) c

• jeffcat
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Trail, Patrick Henry's football team is having a good season and is looking to make another run in the playoffs. ;)

Just as a modest update, I did some research on the home and still haven't found another Colonial(Georgian) Revival home quite like it. After doing some research, I got a bit of an idea as to why that might be based on the creativity of the owner Mr. Leilich...one of the most influential citizens in the small town and a German immigrant. I was shocked how easy it was to find information on the man after visiting the local historical society and the info they had. I was somewhat surprised to hear the widow's walk, 2nd floor "window door", and plaster decor for the pictures was all ORIGINAL and the only widow's walk in the entire town. I figured it had to be a wealthy citizen and was right. Here is some of the info.

http://www.delphos-ohio.com/powell%20house.htm

Excerpts of Mr. Leilich BEFORE he made his riches in the town...great story.

"HENRY L. LEILICH, one of the well-known citizens and business men of Delphos, Ohio, and one of the proprietors of the Delphos brewery, is a native of Hessen, Germany, was born July 6, 1865, and is a son of Jacob and Catherine (Schwoebel) Leilich. The father was for years a merchant in the town of Shaafheim, but is now retired from- active business life. The subject of our sketch took the regular course of schooling required by the government, and and then took two courses at a normal school, attending the latter for seventeen months. In July, 1881, he started for the United States, arriving at New York August 24, of that year, and came to Delphos direct, he having an aunt living in this city. When he stepped aboard the steamer he had just $32 in money in his pocket, and of that amount he had $11 when he reached Delphos. His first work here was on a section of the Clover Leaf railroad, at which he continued but a few days, not being able to stand the fatigue. He was next picked up in a drug store, where he had gone to get something to heal his sore hands, caused by work on the section, by H. P. Eysenbach, and by him put to work in a woolen mill, running a picker and doing all the chores. He remained in Mr. Eysenbach's employ for about four months, during which time he took English lessons in the evenings from a private tutor and was given daily in�structions, when opportunity presented itself, by Mr. Eysenbach's father. From the woolen mill he next entered the shoe store of F. J. Miller, where he clerked and also worked on the bench. He remained with Mr. Miller for year, and then went to work in the Clover Leaf railroad shops, taking a job as striker in the blacksmith shop. He continued here three years, learning the trade of blacksmithing. He then fell sick, and while laying off, being unable to work in the railroad shops, he returned to the store of Mr. Miller, where he again clerked and worked on the bench for about two and a half years. He next accepted a position as a salesman in a Lima clothing house, of Delphos, where he remained five years. In 1893 he purchased a half-interest in the Delphos brewery, since which time he has given all his attention to the business, he having all the office and outside business under his charge. Notwithstanding the fact that Mr. Leilich comes from a good family and was given a fine education, when he came to America he began at the very bottom, and alone and unaided he has climbed to his present position in business circles. His efforts have been successful to a high degree, and aside from his interests in the brewery, he owns valuable improved real estate in Delphos, all of which he has accumulated in less than fifteen years. He is a stockholder in the Delphos Building & Loan association, and is also interested in the development of oil and gas in the neighborhood of Delphos.
    Mr. Leilich was married October 29, 1884, to Miss Louisa Werner, daughter of Jacob Werner, a well-known contractor of Delphos. To their union one boy�Clarence� was born July 3, 1888. Mr. and Mrs. Leilich are members of the Lutheran church, and are highly respected in the polite society in which they move. Mr. Leilich is a business man possessing integrity of character, and fully appreciates the value of prompt payment of debts. Money in circulation is what makes business active and creates prosperity. Integrity of character is as much of an inheritance as any other peculiarity, and it is altogether probable that Mr. Leilich is indebted to a considerable extent for this quality, and also in a larger sense to his nationality, for the German people, as a rule, are as noted for sterling honesty as for strength of body, and are everywhere welcomed by Americans, who believe in keeping up the high tone of American citizenship. (Source #1)"

Mr. Leilich later made his money when he started the Delphos Can Company in 1898(home was built in somewhere between 1899-1901). The can company later became the Delphos Manufacturing Company...the largest company in the town producing gas cans, funnels, and numerous other patented devices that were cutting edge and had national exposure at the time.