Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Old Slat Cladding And Dense Pack?

Posted by darkwolf (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 4, 13 at 23:38

I need some help figuring out how best to tackle this.

We've got an old attached garage that someone at some point egressed into and put in a large bathroom and closet. We're in the middle of taking that all out, installing a new raised floor and finishing it off entirely as a bedroom.

Now, for the walls, to level things for drywall I will be using 2x2's secured horizontally along the studs @ 16"OC. On top of that will be insulation web, which dense pack cellulose will be blown into.

My PROBLEM is that the exterior sheathing is 1" thick board, which had anything from a 1/4" space to a 3/4" space between them due to shrinkage.

I do NOT want to blow cellulose and have it compress the tar paper against the brick, or fill the brick weeping cavity at all, so I need some way of sealing all these slits.

What do you think the best method would be, beyond having someone come in and spray a thin seal coat of foam.

I could get 4" wide insulation fabric and staple it along the joints. Be tedious considering it'd add up to 1200 feet I'd have to staple over each. Ugh. I could staple in more non-woven fabric, but that'd end up doubling the cost on it, which may not be viable.

Thoughts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Old Slat Cladding And Dense Pack?

It looks to be full of powder-post beetles. Fix that first, before encasing the walls.
I'd be tempted to wrap the inside with typar, cleating in the corners of the bays for a snug fit, and wrapping the studs too. The insulation will slide along that surface and really pack nicely with the reduced friction.
Casey

o
RE: Old Slat Cladding And Dense Pack?

I was going to pick up a gallon of Borate treatment and spray the wood itself before encasing. There is old termite damage that I've got to stabilize and replace in places. House was treated though, so it's just old neglect. I could not find signs of powder-post beetles, but a Borate treatment will also mitigate them as well.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here