Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Exterior Wood door vs ThermaTru door - Dilemma

Posted by milele (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 14, 12 at 23:34

Hello Forum,
I am very undecided about my main entrance door. My house is a Garrison Colonial built in 1939. It has 4 window top floor of the house and 2 downstairs. Door is on the left facing the house. We just rebuilt the stairs with beautiful round stones to match the foundation of the house. We also built a hatch with round ceiling to have a nice lantern fixture hanging and welcoming the visitors and...the door. We installed wood black shutters and good hardware. Basically we are trying to keep the tradition, lifting up a personality that the Garrrison Colonian does not have. I hate plastic and it has been always hard for me to opt for synthetic material vs natural. We would like to put a Simpson door like:
http://www.simpsondoor.com/door-products/search/results/?page=1&resultsPerPage=10&baseSpecificationNumber=7134
The door will be stained to keep the wood as natural as we can.
My husband still wants a full view storm door and I am not thrilled about it. In addition to it, the quality of anything has been going down in the last 20 years: the wood doors that came with the house are still wonderful and hold the paint, the one we added to the addition 2 years ago have very extreme expansion which messed up the painting during the summer. The other option is to have a ThermaTru door...however: 1) every TT door I have seen looks like a feak wood door, any TT dealer in the area does not have sample of the different color doors...so I am concerned if I can see a color only on paper! I am in NE, what should I do? Is the Simpson door really a good door or should I go for a TT. Is there any specific model that really look like real wood? So far the door with the 4 lights (like the Simpson) I have seen do not look like real wood to me. Please I need some help here to make up my mind.
Thanks in advance!
Milele

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Exterior Wood door vs ThermaTru door - Dilemma

I'm not really clear on whether you have to replace your front door or not. Can you continue to use your current door or is it necessary to put in a new one?

If it's just the storm door your husband wants, can you find a skilled carpenter to build you one to go one your current door? Then stain it to match, so it disappears.

Alternatively, tell your husband you don't want to compromise with "good enough" and will keeping searching until you find "perfect." He may come to love your current door before you track down something you like better.

If you must replace your door, there is a lot of choice out there. We used "Rogue Valley" door and it's beautiful and well-made. Although we could not see that exact door, we could see samples of that manufacturer and others at a local millwork supplier. I suggest contacting the manufacturers to find out who within 100 miles or so has samples of their doors. It will be worth your time to make sure you have chosen the right door.

Is your NE Nebraska or New England?

o
RE: Exterior Wood door vs ThermaTru door - Dilemma

We need to change the door because it s solid door with an awful scale window glass pattern. In addition to it, there is a big drafting during the winter. Ne is New Enland

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here