Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
enigmaquandry

Found house's nametag!!!

enigmaquandry
12 years ago

We took the plunge and ripped all the vinyl siding off our house (another, looooong story) and while replacing some of the cedar shakes that were original, we removed some over the door and discovered nailed to the house's sheathing the original "tag" of the homebuilder! It says "Peaseway Homes". I've tried to find some information about them online, but all I've come across is that they are prefabricated houses (similar to a sears house), postwar and have a different kind of framing called "stress skin panels" with plywood instead of drywall finishing the inside (which is one of my favorite things!). Anyway, I'm super intrigued if anyone has any info on Peaseway Homes, I'm also a little concerned since I don't understand what stress skin panels are but it seems that the plywood is structural, and three rooms of our house have had the plywood replaced with drywall. We are hoping to add a large dormer addition eventually and now I'm also wondering if a "modular" built home can support it, given their unique building techniques.

Anyway know about these houses? Our whole neighborhood was clearly built by the same builder (with extras and additions here and there). On the whole they seem sensational quality, with poured concrete basements and wide oak flooring.

I'll try to post a picture soon of the tag I found, it was so cool!

Comments (5)