Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Any 1928 Fence style ideas ?

Posted by petpalikali (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 7, 12 at 21:43

Hey all. Bought my house last year and want to fence in some area for the dog to be free and to use as a backdrop for the garden. I've tried to google fencing ideas, but can't come up with any good sites. It's a tiny little house,originally built as just a cottage. Anyone got pics, or websites I can use? Thanks, Pet out.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Any 1928 Fence style ideas ?

This is pretty much exactly what was used at that time for fencing in yards...unless you were lucky enough to have cast iron! :)

You can do a search under decorative woven wire fencing...one company sells rolls in increments of 25', but their prices are higher than the site below.

I would love to get it for my yard, which has very rusty chain link installed about 50 years back...just my luck, I would need 130'. A small section of my yard still has this original...it is rusty, but otherwise in good shape after about a century.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hutchison Wire Fence

o

Columbusguy1 found the right stuff - its all over my neighborhood (usually painted metallic silver,ugh) It looks great with a brick home. If you have a wood home, why not try a classic picket fence, I dont think wood pickets ever went out of style. We put in a wood fence (the house is shingle-style) and it not only looks good, it keeps the dog in and the kids out. (and think about painting your wood fence a color other than white - it can be a fun punch of color that accentuates your historic home)

o

Re: the stuff columbusguy1 linked - I've looked at and for that stuff. I have some of the old variety in my yard & love it. BUT the new stuff is not anywhere near as heavy wire as the old. Especially for a dog, it's worth looking further and even paying more if you use it, to find the heavier gauge stuff. (NO idea, of course, what 11 gauge means but the stuff in the pictures doesn't look too beefy.

o

What's wrong with 3' or 4' wood picket fencing--natural or painted? It goes with almost any architecture style, except uber modern!

Or the other option might be an electronic fence.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here