Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
new concrete over old?

Posted by DanaGB (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 21, 12 at 21:20

Old house gets water with heavy rains. If house demolished, is it possible to add new slab over old and place house on top? Just trying to think outside the box :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: new concrete over old?

Dana, this isn't costing you by the word like a telegram...:)

How old is the house, where is the water coming in, where is it staying?

Most importantly, why in hell did you buy an old house only to tear it down?!!

You are in the wrong place if your plan is to tear down an old house--we own them and repair them because they have detail and charm AND VALUE which you cannot find in a new house!

Give us more background on yourself, the house, and what you want to do--otherwise you are just opening up a can of worms whose contents you really don't want to see.

o

Since the weight bearing of the old slab is not known, you are unlikely to be able to use it again (even under a new slab).

o

My neighbors just did this. They tore down an existing home and garage under 3000sf. I noticed they did make cuts and dig some new footings through some of the old foundation. Then they put the bracings for the new over 5000 sf foundation and indeed poured over. They only removed several smaller areas such as patios and the old garage floor, otherwise poured over existing. So, I believe it is possible. I was shocked they completely tore down the old. But they claimed the cost of the tear down was made up by the ease of building completely new rather then tying into the old. And all systems are brand new.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here