Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
r3venton

keep old interior door knobs?

r3venton
11 years ago

Is it wrong to change out old classic brass door knobs that are very detailed for kwikset vintage brass look modern door knobs so my bedrooms will be able to have locking doors? Ill post a picture later tonight.

Comments (14)

• Laurie
    11 years ago

Personally, I don't care if my bedroom doors can lock or not. Who am I keeping out and why?

Then again, it's only me and my partner living in our home. I guess, if you had kids that you needed to keep out now and then, you may need locks but otherwise? Not sure if it's necessary.

Having said that, I think it's obvious we've kept all the original hardware on our doors :)

• r3venton
    Original Author
    11 years ago

well I'm a relatively young old house owner and I rent rooms to my brother and two more friends. just kind of nice knowing that it takes more than a knock to come in when the lights are low if you know what i'm saying...

• columbusguy1
    11 years ago

I have rented rooms in the past to friends, and had no problem with needing to lock bedroom doors--when you rent, you should explain that just knocking isn't sufficient--they should wait for you to say come in. I never had a problem with it, following these rules.

And, if your doors have a lock plate with a keyhole below the knob, you can get a skeleton key to fit it, and you have a lock AND your original hardware. The mortise lock might stick, but you can use graphite or a similar substance to free them. Most hardware stores will sell the keys.

• sombreuil_mongrel
    11 years ago

From a conservation/restoration POV it is very wrong to replace the vintage with the modern. The vintage is better quality, and belongs to the house as it has been there for as long as the house has stood. The replacements are of middling quality (quicksets, srsly?) and will wear out in under 20 years. The holes that need to be filled and then bored anew to install the inferior modern tubular lock is also going to alter the woodwork in an irreversible way.
    As columbusguy1 recommended, have keys cut, you will enjoy the click of the old locks working again as they should if you are any kind of old house person.
    Casey

• millworkman
    11 years ago

Put a surface deadlock or slide bolt on the interior so you may have some privacy if required.

• dreamgarden
    11 years ago

"Personally, I don't care if my bedroom doors can lock or not. Who am I keeping out and why?"

I think it is wise to have locks on some interior doors. Especially if you tend to keep any valuables in your bedroom or office.

I can think of at least three examples of why this would be a good idea.

I was settling a relatives estate. There were items I definitely wanted to keep so I put these in a spare room that had a sign on the outside door clearly marked 'STAY OUT'. The auctioneers' workers tried to get into this room anyway. How do I know? I was sitting inside reading a book and they opened the door to peek. What part of STAY OUT didn't they understand? Later on I checked their truck to see what they had loaded and had to remove a few items that weren't intended for auction.

Another example is when we purchased our house. We've had all sorts of contractors in to do work. I don't know them or the people they hire. The last thing I want to have to worry about is a stranger going through my personal effects while I'm trying to stay out of their way so they can get the work done.

Even relatives or roommates can be a problem. I've had roommates that ran out of stuff and would go into my room to 'borrow' things.

Last but not least, interior locks on doors can also be useful in the event of a home invasion. Just google 'safe rooms' to see what I mean.

• columbusguy1
    11 years ago

One thing to consider is this: in case of emergency, will the occupants have the time or calmness required to UNLOCK the door?

If a person is the sort who will come into your private room and rummage around, I wouldn't rent to them, be they family or not.

• User
    11 years ago

My old house had a simple hook lock high up on the spare room door. I presume to keep short people out. Ditto the bathroom door. Maybe the PO fished toy soldiers out of the toilet one time too many.

• tinker_2006
    11 years ago

People pay big money for used door knobs or ones that look old! I'd keep them in a heartbeat - they are better quality than any new hardware, and they do below to the house. You most likely can get keys that fit, if you must lock the doors. I was able to find keys easily.. but I don't lock he doors, and on the guest bathrooms, we use a hook & eye.

• graywings123
    11 years ago

Go ahead and post the photo so we can see what you are talking about.

One thing about kwikset interior door locks - they are designed to be opened easily. You can open them with a paperclip.

• old_house_j_i_m
    11 years ago

one more vote to keep the original knobs and ADD another method of locking - deadbolts just ruin doors so consider a surface mounted lock like a rim lock or simple slide bolt. Many styles of these are available - one style will surely compliment your existing knobs.

• brickeyee
    11 years ago

"One thing to consider is this: in case of emergency, will the occupants have the time or calmness required to UNLOCK the door? "

Privacy locks have been used on bedrooms fort at least 200 years.

Why is this suddenly a problem?

Folks are to stupid to turn a key nowadays?

• r3venton
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Forgot to take a picture. The bedroom doors are not like the downstairs doors that have the old mortise locks on them. Those im going to restore. I decided locking the room doors isnt that big of a deal and returned the new style door knobs. Now i want to find old mortise locks and get new doors that actually fit the 84" openings. The current doors are too short.

• User
    11 years ago

He has everything you could possibly want in the way of hardware. If you don't see it email and he will find it for you ! I bought all of my drawer pulls from him...great service. c

Here is a link that might be useful: Robinson's