Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone have a transcept window?

Posted by marita40 (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 6, 08 at 19:26

I think they are called "transcept" windows but I'm not fully sure. I am restoring one in the bathroom of my 1913 home. It is above the door, has two hinges on the bottom, and tilts inward to, I assume, vent the room. My question concerns the hardware. The bottom hinges are intact, but someone removed the hardware on the left-hand side of the window that must have had a chain-type mechanism to hold the window ajar. On that side of the sash there are three holes for the screws, in the pattern of a triangle turned on its side. A smaller indentation on the adjacent door trim suggests that where it was hooked. Does anyone know what kind of hardware this is and where I can get one? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
I mean transom window.

Oops, I meant transom window! If anyone has one, could you please let me know what kind of hardware it has? I suspect my transom window had some kind of latch that you opened with a pull, and also a chain to keep it ajar. (I doubt that it had one of the more elaborate contraptions that you turn to open). I see some latches on the internet (ie. Rejuvenation) but none have the triangle shape of screw holes that mine obviously fit into. If anyone has photos, I'd really appreciate seeing how the hardware is attached.

o
RE: Anyone have a transcept window?

Nice hardware, with scary prices:

Here is a link that might be useful: Transom hardware

o

Have you checked with any local architectural salvege yards?

o

You could also check vandykes dot com and wm j rigby.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here