Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Glazing putty - how long to let it set

Posted by graywings (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 18, 11 at 18:28

I was certain this question was asked and answered when I was reglazing months ago, but I can't find it. So . . . I reglazed my windows exactly two weeks ago using DAP 33. I can still make dents in the putty with my fingernail. Does that mean it's not ready yet for the top layer of primer?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Glazing putty - how long to let it set

Dents are not a good indicator.

Does it have a solid surface film?

It is hard enough to paint.

o

Thanks for the response, brickeyee.

I guess it is ready to paint. The putty on the window I did yesterday is sticky, whereas I can run my fingers over the 2 week old putty.

o

"The putty on the window I did yesterday is sticky, whereas I can run my fingers over the 2 week old putty. "

That is about all you need.

It is actually preferred the putty NOT fully harden.

Once it does it starts to crack and not adhere to the glass from thermal expansion of the glass.

o

Once it "skins" over it is ready to paint, usually a day or 2. Be SURE you prime with an oil based primer as you should have BEFORE applying the glaze.

o

A day or 2? The DAP 33 container says 7-14 days depending on the temperature.

And yes, oil-based primer - the slow drying type.

o

"The DAP 33 container says 7-14 days depending on the temperature. "

It depends on how much work you want to go through to get the stuff to skin over.

If I have more than a single window I usually build a quick 'hot box' using a 100 W incandescent bulb for heat and some heavy plastic.

o

day or 2, week or 2, it depends on how much sun is hitting it and for how long

o

I'm just starting to reglaze my 1904 house windows. I'm using '33 but same question stream-- should I re hang the sash I puttied while it dries enough to paint? I've got a storm, so it's optional right now, but I've got MANY windows to do and can't imagine waiting 7-10 days to finally paint??

Also, are there any other brands people like in particular? I heard one bad thing about '33, but that's about it.

o

I invariably prime the entire sash before replacing the glass, so I have no need to prime again before the finish paint, which is gloss oil, The putty doesn't need priming when it has skinned.
Although I have never used it, I understand that Sarco putty beats the Dap 33 product in drying time, and I hope consistency. I always have to do something to a quart or gallon of the Dap product to get it fit for use, It's either too runny or too dry.
Casey

o

Here is an eleven-page thread about window putty:

Here is a link that might be useful: Putty Analysis

o

Put together a small hot box using plastic sheeting and a 100 W light bulb.

o

We reglazed 30 6 over 6 windows 11 years ago with DAP 33. 1.5 years ago we did another 23 six over six windows with the Sarco putty. We preferred the Sarco - much easier to use. The guy who sells it in small quantities is in NH so I got a small amount before committing to much more. We left the windows off until we painted them. We probably waited 2-3 weeks before painting.

o

Is a small room heated to 80 degrees the equivalent of a hot box?

o

80 degrees isn't going to do a lot. It can't hinder the drying; but it won't accelerate it a great amount. I kept newly-glazed wood sash in the back of my pickup (under the truck cap) in the sun for a week to get the putty to speed set. Days it would hit 135 in there.
Casey

o

I aim for around 100F to 120 F.

Part of the worry is shrinking the wood excessively and causing splits and cracks.

o

Have you ever tried a wood moisture meter to monitor your progress? I have no experience with these devices.

o

A moisture meter will not tell you anything useful about the putty hardening, the goal of the process.

o

I should have made it clear that I wondered if you had used a moisture meter to monitor the wood itself before repainting.

o

I've been reglazing the windows on the front of my house this week with dap 33. in a tub, not the tube of caulk stuff. takes a little while to get the hang of it, but it seems to go pretty good. I did the first window about 10 days ago, and it has set up enough to paint now.
of course it was 20% rain yesterday afternoon. which is usually nothing to worry about..but
as soon as I got the glazing points installed to hold the pane in place...rain.
what a pita. so tomorrow and saturday...I'll be back at it.
thanks for telling me about the dap 33 product. I really like it.
oh and inox..the wood of my windows was really really dry.
we have had a dry summer. levels of moisture didn't even register on my moisutre meter..(just fyi)

o

Have any of you tried Glaze-Ease 601, which can be painted in two hours, and is applied with a caulking gun?

Here is a link that might be useful: Glaze-Ease 601

o

Not used Glaze-Ease, but it would seem to me that applying with a caulking gun requires an extremely steady hand with it being difficult to control...putty just requires a knife to smooth it off for a nice looking finish.

I'd imagine it contains silicone to dry so fast...and doesn't that need replacing every ten years or so?

o

Glaze-Ease 601 is a blend of silicone and acrylic caulk. It is intended to remain elastic, and is expected to remain so for 40 years. There is a video at their site (linked above) showing application. Yes, the man is a caulking gun virtuoso.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here