Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hardwood Floor Redo in a 1950s house/Crosspost to Flooring

Posted by moccasinlanding (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 25, 10 at 18:27

We have old 1.5" wide oak floors in every room of our house built in 1950. The PO put a dark mahogany stain/finish on all the wood EXCEPT the back bedroom, for whatever reason.

It was the worst job I ever saw. The finish was slopped up on the toe baseboard, and there was hair and dirt embedded in the finish too. We were renting this house originally, and decided to buy it....too tired of moving to do it again.

So what I'm wondering, based on a previous statement above about having to tear them out if they were messed up, WILL WE HAVE TO TEAR THESE OUT? Or can we have them refinished back to a lighter more natural tone like the back bedroom?

Here is a link that might be useful: Anyone refinish old floors lately?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hardwood Floor Redo in a 1950s house/Crosspost to Flooring

My brother is to the stage that their house built in the mid century is now ready for new wood floors. They live in the Los Angeles area, and a TV movie was filmed in their house. (They had to move out and were put up free in a hotel with lots of room service.) The house was painted and then all the downstairs was refinished for them to move back in. When the production crew sanded the floors to revarnish them, they noted that they were now sanding down to the nails in the flooring. So they knew that the next floor redo would involve just installing new flooring. They are getting ready to do just that 15 years later.

So if you can sand the floors and not find yourself exposing the nails, then you will be fine. I grew up in a 50 year old house and my dad had the oak floors refinished, and they looked great. Original to the house installed wood floors should last through several sandings.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here