Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
deteriorating bricks

Posted by bandito (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 7, 10 at 18:25

Hi,

I had bad mortar and it appeared the water was very slowly pouring out between the bricks of my 100 year old home. I started re-pointing the bricks in this location. As a result the water disappeared but there seams to be a line where the face of the bricks fell off (some were covered with salt). Also below this line the bricks darkened. I also parged the foundation and it looks like I have wet spots. I did this work about three months ago. Any ideas on what is happening.

pictures can be found at by following this link:
http://picasaweb.google.com/101222888189023763758/UntitledAlbum#

thanks,

Carl

Here is a link that might be useful: my bricks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: deteriorating bricks

You need to address the source of the water before trapping it inside the wall and the bricks.

When freezing weather occurs the damage is likely to be even more extensive as the moisture in the bricks freezers and expands.

You might also investigate if you have softer bricks randomly spread through the wall.

Brick firing was not as well controlled as modern bricks, and can result in very soft cores with and without surface hardness.

If the core of the spalled off bricks is very soft you may need to replace them after addressing the source of the water.

o
RE: deteriorating bricks

I am not a pro bricklayer (micky) , but something is a amiss.First off that chamfered piece of concrete 5 courses up and then the half bricks. Original hack job.Photo 4 is definitive.Old bricks that were not meant to be exposed. Water struck.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here