Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
help needed on door color

Posted by momamamo (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 24, 08 at 18:22

I have a house built in 1924 whose exterior colors are poorly matched. The brick is an unpainted warm mustard with a pinkish grout. The roof is a cool blue. I'd love to have an inviting door color other than white. The porch floor is grayish (unpainted), which coordinates with the roof. Any thoughts about this? Thanks! Maureen

Here is a link that might be useful: Photobucket house

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: help needed on door color

How about a bright yellow to give some meaning to the brick color?

o

That's an interesting idea, Lucy! I have some yellow paint swatches; I'll give them a try. Thanks! Maureen

o

What about a rich dark maroon?

Casey

"http://www.driverdb.com/Sean McDonagh"

o

Gloss midnight teal. Should contrast nicely with the brick, and reinforce the roof color in a subliminal way. It may just be the tie that is needed.
BM Oasis blue 2049-20
BM Sherwood Forest 2048-10
BM Teal 2055-10
Casey

o

Thanks, Casey! Speaking of maroon, here are the maroons in my living room, the first room I walk into from my front door. I think that color is gorgeous.

And to Casey #2, I'm drawn to the idea of a teal and like the Benjamin Moore suggestions. I very much like the idea of coordinating brick to roof colors, I've been trying to figure this out for 8 years!

I think I'm going to buy a few quarts of the suggested colors and give each a try. Thanks so much, everyone! Maureen

Here is a link that might be useful: Maroons in living room

o

It looks like a very nice house. After Casey said maroon, I looked again at your pic and noticed how nice the maroon iris look against the house. Teal sounds good too and would stand out more.
kathy

o

Thank you, concretenprimroses, for the compliment! I've worked hard on this old fixer-upper and have found a true passion.

Like you I love the idea of maroon on my door. My concern, though, is overkill. My maroon naugahyde settee is the first thing you see when you walk in the door, then the dark red wall behind it. I'm thinking that teal may work because I have a huge painting - with strong blues - that will go up over the fireplace as soon as I'm finished with the repairs there.

I really appreciate your opinion and I thank you for expressing it! Maureen

o

If it were mine, I'd go with a spicy mustard green, almost an edgy khaki.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here