Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
question about tirm levels in an older home

Posted by camlan (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 14, 11 at 17:33

I just moved into a house built in 1900 in a old New England town. While taking a break from the endless unpacking, I noticed that the trim around the doors and windows is not the same in all the rooms. I can understand why the kitchen has very plain trim, but the other rooms puzzle me.

Most of the rooms have very plain, basic trim--looks like 1x4s were used. But the dining room, the bathroom and the one back bedroom have somewhat nicer trim--it's still not at the very expensive, high end trim level, but it's definitely nicer than the other rooms.

I'd expect the living room to have the nicer trim as well, but it doesn't. It doesn't even have the narrow crown molding that the rest of the house does, although I suspect that the plaster walls have been removed and drywall put up in the living room and maybe the crown was removed at that point. Heck, the kitchen has the same crown as the rest of the house.

And most of the baseboards are just a slab of wood, maybe a 1x6? but the front hall and dining room have a bit of molding on top of that.

I guess I'd just expect the more public rooms, like the front hall, living and dining rooms to have the higher level of trim, and the bedrooms and kitchen to have the plainer stuff. But there's also been remodeling in some of the rooms at various points--there are narrow oak floorboards in some rooms and wider pine boards in others. And I think they walled up a fireplace in the living room, if the chimney on the roof is any indication.

Anyone have any ideas on why the varying trims?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: question about tirm levels in an older home

At a guess, without pictures, I'd say the original trim was removed. What style the house is MAY have had an impact on the trim style, but simple 1x stock by itself is a bit unusual to me.

I wouldn't call my 1908 foursquare fancy, but even the kitchen has backbanding around all the trim to match the other main rooms, as does my pantry and bath--the only place which doesn't have the banding is the finished attic.

Further, are you sure the dining room was originally used for that purpose?

Pics would help a lot, both inside and outside.

o

By 1900 I would expect pretty consistent trim at least throughout each floor of the house, with simplified trim perhaps in the kitchen. It does sound like the original was removed in some rooms.

o

could any of the rooms have been added or redesignated ? (a room that is a bedroom now might have been the parlor originally)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here