Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kathart_gw

Planning a Major Overhaul

kathart
14 years ago

Hi Everyone -

I'm reading these posts with great interest (and am learning a lot!) as I plan to embark on my largest, and hopefully last, major home overhaul. I recently bought an old home, early 1920's (although no one can really confirm) - a neglected American Four Square in an historic town. All plaster/lathe has been covered by '70's paneling - the plaster is crumbling. No insulation, 100amp knob & tube wiring and one small bath on the 2nd floor.

When I finish school next year, I plan to gut the entire house, reconfigure slightly, upgrade electric, install plumbing for another bath, etc. My plan was to remove the plaster/lathe, then insulate & drywall, however in reading up on plaster I'm starting to change my mind! Plus I prefer to keep things as original as possible. Perhaps I will remove the paneling (good riddance!) then reassess the plaster damage. I'll read-up on plastering - maybe I'll wet the lathe and just plaster again - foam insulation behind the walls also.

I don't have a particular question right now - this is my first post - but I'm getting a head start and when the work begins I'll be asking many questions, I'm sure.

Kat

Comments (4)