Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sandblasting my old house?

Posted by floete_ri (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 18, 09 at 17:06

I've had 3 painting contractors over to look at the exterior of my 1930 bungalow recently and *none* of them would take the job or even offer a bid. Simply put, paint won't stick to the exterior of the house. We had it sanded and painted four years ago and it was bubbling all over the place w/ in a year. We've lived with it since then.

Some of the guys just shake their head, others talk about moisture and lack of ventilation. But one thing they can all agree on is, the house just has too many damn layers of paint on it. And nobody wants the job of getting the paint off ...

Until today. Today a nice guy stopped by and said the only economical way to do it is sandblasting. Wow, cool, I thought. But then I search on the 'net and found that nobody likes or recommends sandblasting (or glass blasting, as this company calls it); it ruins the wood one way or another.

My question is: is that absolutely true? Does sandblasting always result in disaster?

Thoughts anyone?

thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sandblasting my old house?

We decided against sand blasting really damages brick,we had ours washed ,it was bio degradable.we did it in 93 looks as good as the day they did it.

o

In my case, however, we're talking about clapboard instead of brick. that said, damage would probably be worse on wood. but i'm not sure we have another choice at a price we can afford.

I'm going to ask the painter for some references to sandblasted houses and go see what they look like.

Meanwhile, if anyone else has any input or suggestions ... feel free!

o

Check other current threads on this forum about paint removal that make reference to infrared heat for paint removal. Not that I've ever used it, but it seems that people do use it to strip the entire exterior of their houses.

Blasting, whether with sand or glass beads or even walnut shells seems to me would make an infernal mess, and if some of your layers are lead paint... well, enough said. Again, read the other threads, one linked below.

KarinL

Here is a link that might be useful: Stripper info

o

Check out this YouTube video on Dry Ice blasting. Another option to consider...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-Gy4I8jSHE

Diane

Here is a link that might be useful: Dry Ice Blasting

o

Check this piece at This Old House on a water-based chemical stripper that requires few safety precautions.

o

Until today. Today a nice guy stopped by and said the only economical way to do it is sandblasting.

RUN Forest, RUN!

o

We used chemical wash,it was biodegradable didnt hurt shrubs,flowers never had 1 problem from it.They started top of the house came down it got rid of all paint etc on brick,the windows had white paint chaulking running down brick,it got rid that,It looked great when done a real face lift.like I said we did it in 93 it still looks great.

o

We have a ranch and there was so much paint on it hubby took a pressure washer to it but you have to watch which tip you use or you can carve out the wood. We let it dry for a week and then we sanded (along with friends) and primed and painted. I would never do it agin, only because it's alot of hard work. I wish we would have slapped up some vinyl siding instead but otherwise the paint job looks great!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here