Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
floete_ri

Sandblasting my old house?

floete_ri
14 years ago

I've had 3 painting contractors over to look at the exterior of my 1930 bungalow recently and *none* of them would take the job or even offer a bid. Simply put, paint won't stick to the exterior of the house. We had it sanded and painted four years ago and it was bubbling all over the place w/ in a year. We've lived with it since then.

Some of the guys just shake their head, others talk about moisture and lack of ventilation. But one thing they can all agree on is, the house just has too many damn layers of paint on it. And nobody wants the job of getting the paint off ...

Until today. Today a nice guy stopped by and said the only economical way to do it is sandblasting. Wow, cool, I thought. But then I search on the 'net and found that nobody likes or recommends sandblasting (or glass blasting, as this company calls it); it ruins the wood one way or another.

My question is: is that absolutely true? Does sandblasting always result in disaster?

Thoughts anyone?

thanks!

Comments (15)

• bulldinkie
    14 years ago

We decided against sand blasting really damages brick,we had ours washed ,it was bio degradable.we did it in 93 looks as good as the day they did it.

• floete_ri
    Original Author
    14 years ago

In my case, however, we're talking about clapboard instead of brick. that said, damage would probably be worse on wood. but i'm not sure we have another choice at a price we can afford.

I'm going to ask the painter for some references to sandblasted houses and go see what they look like.

Meanwhile, if anyone else has any input or suggestions ... feel free!

• karinl
    14 years ago

Check other current threads on this forum about paint removal that make reference to infrared heat for paint removal. Not that I've ever used it, but it seems that people do use it to strip the entire exterior of their houses.

Blasting, whether with sand or glass beads or even walnut shells seems to me would make an infernal mess, and if some of your layers are lead paint... well, enough said. Again, read the other threads, one linked below.

KarinL

Here is a link that might be useful: Stripper info

• sacto_diane
    14 years ago

Check out this YouTube video on Dry Ice blasting. Another option to consider...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-Gy4I8jSHE

Diane

Here is a link that might be useful: Dry Ice Blasting

• worthy
    14 years ago

Check this piece at This Old House on a water-based chemical stripper that requires few safety precautions.

• PRO
    Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting
    14 years ago

Until today. Today a nice guy stopped by and said the only economical way to do it is sandblasting.

RUN Forest, RUN!

• bulldinkie
    14 years ago

We used chemical wash,it was biodegradable didnt hurt shrubs,flowers never had 1 problem from it.They started top of the house came down it got rid of all paint etc on brick,the windows had white paint chaulking running down brick,it got rid that,It looked great when done a real face lift.like I said we did it in 93 it still looks great.

• shasta_2008
    14 years ago

We have a ranch and there was so much paint on it hubby took a pressure washer to it but you have to watch which tip you use or you can carve out the wood. We let it dry for a week and then we sanded (along with friends) and primed and painted. I would never do it agin, only because it's alot of hard work. I wish we would have slapped up some vinyl siding instead but otherwise the paint job looks great!!

• smvogt
    6 years ago

Hi floete_ri, I was wondering what you decided on doing? I am trying to figure out if sandblasting is a good idea or not.

• PRO
    Sombreuil
    6 years ago

You must operate with the premise that you have lead paint there. So exterior sand-walnut shell-baking soda blasting would demand tenting the house prior to contain the lead dust.

• smvogt
    6 years ago

So what would you suggest to Sombreuil? I am trying to prep the house to have it repainted. Thank you for your help!

• smvogt
    6 years ago

Ok thank you Carlos229! I will do that :-)

• PRO
    Sombreuil
    6 years ago

Paint bubbling/blistering can be a vapor barrier issue, or an application issue. (perhaps a paint-batch issue) Until you identify the cause, you're remedies may be unhelpful.

Exterior paint removal is always really costly. That's why substitute sidings are often used, they go on top of the original and keep costs down, unfortunately just covering up a water vapor problem does more long term harm, allows damage to proceed unmonitored.

Casey

• PRO
    S&S Services
    2 years ago

Yes a wood house and brick can be media blasted with proper media and pressure settings.

I own a Dustless blaster and it is proven over and over to be the best blasting stripping machine in the world. Google it.

But we charge $300 per hour to blast it's not cheap but truly the only way to do a job right ..

Everything else is a hack...