Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Possible to dig out the rest of basement

Posted by Fox9920 (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 3, 05 at 16:37

Hello all,
The basement of my house is currently half dug out and finished. My wife and I want to dig out the other half of the basement and finish it to roughly double the basement area. I have heard that this may sometimes not be possible depending on how the fondation of the house was poured. I am posting here to try to get some feedback on this from anybody who may have any experience or suggestions for this. I have takent pictures of inside the crawl space (the first one shows the door that leads into the crawl space) here:
http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrowse.asp?folder_id=1445928

Any help is greatly appericated. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Possible to dig out the rest of basement

You need to talk to a structural engineer.

It might be possible, it might make the house collapse.

o

Second opinion: same as the first! Do NOT undertake this without first seeking a consultation with a structural engineer. If done incorrectly you risk loss of your house or life. You may also need a permit from your building/code enforcement department.

o

Sometime in the late 1950's, when I was a mere child, my aunt and her SO decided to put a basement in her tiny home. I do remember a permit and I'm almost sure they had someone come out to tell them how it was to be done... I also remember the house jacks, all the dirt, all the mess, the cracked walls that had to be fixed afterwards and the year and a half wait... But the house is still standing... LOL

Rita

o

It's certainly possible, the question is only how much time and money it will cost to do it properly. You can lift the entire house and build a new foundation theoretically.

I third talking to a structural engineer and/or an architect. They will take a look at your foundation, where you footing are (if any) and how deep you want to dig to make the ceiling height reasonable (at least 6'8" is code for most areas).

It's a messy job. There will be lots of dirt to dispose of. Depending on your lot, you might be able to get a bobcat down there to speed the process. It also most likely cost more per square foot to do then you will ever recoup in resale.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here