Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sheetrock question--- who's correct?

Posted by pieinsky (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 13, 08 at 16:36

We have a 1920s house with nothing but horizontal tongue and grove boards looking at us everywhere we take down the wall paper gauzy stuff and the old 70 paneling. I've done some DIY sheet rocking and under normal conditions would run it sideways to the exposed studs in a newer built home with 8' ceilings and studs on 16" centers. But our ceilings are 9 1/2 ' and it would be a lot easier to purchase 4' X 10' sheets of drywall and trim the small amount off the bottom and stand it in place (after the ceiling is done of course and go around the room in this fashion. I believe I understand the reason for not doing it this way when you have studs on 16" centers as you run into having a very uneven finished wall. But if your wall is solid 3/4" wood from floor to ceiling and you can nail or screw the sheetrock at any point on the wall, what difference does it make? I say you can go vertical in a case like this and my brother says horizontal only. Who's correct?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sheetrock question--- who's correct?

In an 8' ceilinged room, think about the total number of linear feet of flat seams. There is always less footage if you run the sheets horizontally, especially if you can use 12' sheets. If your walls are longer than 12' you will encounter having to tape the butt joints, but they are only in 4' increments.
You have taller ceilings, so to me it's a PITA to tape the vertical seams in a tall-ceilinged room. You will end up starting and stopping the knife a lot, and leaving uneven mud. Any time I can minimize start and stop it is better. Horizontal seams can be easily taped from a false floor or other staging contrivance; the only way to do the run of vertical seams is with a ladder, and stooping over.
One time, where there was to be a chair rail and the ceiling was 10', I hung 8' sheets trimmed to 7' vertically down from the ceiling, and filled in under the chair rail with horizontal cuts (3' rips) and let the chair rail hide the beltline seam.
Casey

o

Full sheet up, full sheet down, fill in the strip.
That leave you with a bunch of work 4 feet off the floor, a comfortable height.

Vertical is more common in commercial work with decorated panels that are NOT mudded at all, but us trim strips (often plastic) to cover the joints.

o

Thanks for the help, both of you. It makes perfect sense now, one up at the top and one down at the bottom and fill in the 1' strip between. Most work done at the 4' level or the middle. Very few ends with 12' pieces

o

Is your baseboard tall enough to cover a seam at the 6" mark? If so, you could use 54" sheets sideways and only have one tapered seam to tape nicely at the midpoint of the wall.

o

I would say vertical to reduce the amount of square edge joints unless it is a veneer plaster system (blueboard)

o

No, it's going to be just a plain old sheet rock system over tongue and grove boards.
I'm in South Texas and I don't believe I've seen plaster in this area. I could be wrong.
So far, it sounds like what is the easiest for you would be the way to go. At least in this case with solid wood walls.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here