Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sealing box gutters

Posted by Zelie4111 (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 13, 13 at 16:29

My box gutters gave been tarred several times over the years which tells me it is probably not a great idea to use rust oleum paint as should have been done in the first place. I am looking into roof sealers instead of tar this time because the tar never seems to work. Any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sealing box gutters

First determine if the previous coating was coal tar or modified asphalt because they are not compatible with each other and with many other waterproofing coatings. This may not be a good DIY project.

o
RE: Sealing box gutters

My box gutters were leaking at a couple corners when I bought the house in '87, so a few years later when the roof was redone, the roofer used a rubber membrane to line them. I haven't had leaks from them since then. It is a black rubber, which is all I can say about it--I don't think there was ice dam material back in '92, so I'm pretty sure it's nothing exotic--just make sure its well adhered.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here