Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sweetchastity

Old unfinished attic

sweetchastity
15 years ago

My bachelor has access to the attic and the space is at my disposal but its unfinished, not well insulated and dirty. I would like to store stuff up there safely, vacuum, broom, cat litter box, books. I'd love to make it a livable space but I don't think there is an economical way to make a temporary, clean, safe space for meditation or for my cat to relax while I'm busy cleaning and such. The house will one day be torn down for townhouses but I'm not sure when that will ever take place so I wouldn't want to invest a lot of money into something unless it was portable, to take with me to my next apartment.

I'm also squeamish about bugs and some insulation can be seen in cracks in the floor. I wouldn't try to make the whole space livable but I thought carpet with plastic to make walls/dividers and cloth to cover the inside might make a temporary room. Cheap wall paneling might also make a temporary living space, my dad finds great deals at flea markets and such. I'd like to just add a bit more space to my apartment and seeing that big open space breaks my heart thinking what a cute space it could be if fixed up.

I do not know realistically how healthy living in an attic is. There is pink insulation just peaking through where the old wood floor has broken off. The landlord has thrown up some plastic to help insulate the attic but the ceiling is missing some plastic.

Is it safe to use the space or should I just forget about it and focus on the area I do have? Also if nothing else I'd like to close off the stairs and use the bottom to house my cat's litter box so its handy but out of sight (there is no real good spot in my apartment except there) but I don't want him getting into the attic because its dirty. Am I justified in not wanting him to roam the attic as it is?

Comments (4)