Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
petchie_gw

Plaster + wallboard help!?

petchie
9 years ago

Have become caretaker to a 1930 four square that really has not been corrupted much and is basically in great shape. Four square rooms downstairs, 4 bedrooms upstairs and a walk up attic. Woodwork is a gorgeous natural chestnut, it has 3 stain glass windows, and a 3 4 window chestnut window seat in dining room.

Other than changing a closet into a bathroom on the first floor the footprint of the house is the same as it was when it was built. Unfortunately, the original windows were replaced.

It will need the pantry which runs along the back of the house bumped out and new cupboards and such in there. I will try to keep it as period as possible. It is just too small to work in (only 6' wide)

We had an issue where 2 plaster walls in the upstairs bath needed to be demo'd to get to leaking pipes (better choice than dining room ceiling!). We will be replacing these 2 walls with bathroom sheet rock after the new plumbing/wiring is in place.

What do I need to do to the existing plaster walls before we mud? Is there a certain mud I should use where the sheet rock and plaster meet?

I will be removing wall paper from the existing walls and know to get the glue off and then lock it down with GARDZ.

Is that sufficient for where these 2 different materials meet and mud? Should I use a different product?

Plus I am sure the wall paper is there to hide a few sins as well that will need repair.

Comments (6)