Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
So Kiki.......how did the auction go?

Posted by calliope (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 13, 08 at 15:56

Know you put a lot of effort into doing this just right, and hoping you come back to this forum to let us know if you got "your" old house, how the auction went and your impressions of the process. Wanna share?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: So Kiki.......how did the auction go?

Hi! :)
The auction is not until next Wednesday - but I will report back win or lose. I'm pretty excited/nervous.

Right now I'm researching lead dust in carpet issues.
I can't find a way to test the carpets - the wipe-test-sent-to-lab is just kind of a spot test.

I still need to lead test the peeling paint from the front porch. If it's lead, the carpets then all go because it's probably been tracked throughout the house.

I also need to test the varnish from the windows and floors - if there is white lead in them, then again the whole house of carpet needs to go because I can see that they sanded some of them. But if the varnish is not leaded, then potentially the lead is isolated in about 1/3 of the house, then perhaps some of the carpets are not contaminated ..

I can't find anything that says that chemdry or steamcleaning successfully removes it.

I think I would just need to have all the carpet pulled out in order to have peace of mind - which is too too bad because some of the carpet is still in very nice condition. I'm worried though that I would be regretting the decision to get rid of all of it later this winter when it is cooooooold though. All of course depending on whether we get the house or not.

If we don't get the house I may need to hire myself out to the new owners as a consultant - so that all of the energy of my obsession isn't wasted - lol. (Bob, who is that woman that is always hanging around here? I don't know Donna, I think she came with the house. lol)

Thank you for checking on me :) I'll let you know how it goes!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here