Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What style is this house?

Posted by kimberlymarie30 (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 3, 13 at 15:20

This is my house, built in 1928. It is very red brick with white trim. Can someone tell me the style? I've been looking everywhere for a house like it and have come up empty handed! I'm so frustrated.
We are trying to pick an exterior trim color to go with the white windows we inherited and also a color to paint the floor of the porch and the steps. I want something either dark gray or very dark brown. My husband wants lighter gray but I think that would just be blah.
Any help would be appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What style is this house?

A somewhat better photo

o

It's pretty much a standard Craftsman bungalow ... columns on porch with short wall, arched support for porch roof, that little clipped gable over the top window (attic? second floor?).

they often had greys, greens and grey-blue exterior trim.

http://www.antiquehomestyle.com/styles/stylehistory.htm is a good resource

o

It's a brick bungalow, but with a british (tudor revival/cottage) accent.
Casey

o

Thanks for the replies! Yes, the little clipped roof is the second floor. I think that is what threw me off the most when looking for a certain "style".
I want a color that is more earth tone for the trim. The trim looks white in these photos but the trim at the top of the porch wall and along all the windows is sky blue. I would like something that is dark brownish gray or dark slate gray? We are planning on building a cedar pergola to the left of the porch overhang, covering the portion of the porch that is not under roof. We are also planning to replace the old metal railing on the stairs with wood railing and posts. We love craftsman style and I want to emphasize that aspect of the architecture.

o

http://www.flickr.com/photos/daily-bungalow/sets/72157607492336114/

TONS of period paint color schemes!

they were not afraid of color.

o

And more

Here is a link that might be useful: Historic colors

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here