Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What are these pods I found in my electrical outlet?

Posted by debalbuena (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 6, 13 at 14:18

I just bought a house built in the 50s and found maybe 10 little dark brown pods behind the plate in one of the kitchen outlets. they are about the size of beans, but they are not beans... they are hollow like an exoskeleton but some are still completely intact. Are they some type of egg?
here is a link to a picture..
http://postimg.org/image/acetddx93/

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What are these pods I found in my electrical outlet?

They are the pupae of an insect. You may email me if you wish through the GW.

o

Not pupae. Egg cases of cockroaches. Either smokey browns or American. Periplaneta americana.

o

Las cucarachas!

o

You're right, they are egg cases......I knew what they turned into, but didn't know they didn't pupate. That's why I asked the poster to email me so that I could explain discretely what they were. Gosh guys, I'm sure there was a more delicate way to handle that answer.

o

Oh my gosh.

o

I have not seen any cockroaches. Should I be worried about them being in the walls or could these just be very old? Do i need to bug bomb?

o

If you still have them, you'll know it.

Hint: lots of scurrying when you turn the lights on in the middle of the night.

DIY bug bombs just make them stronger. Invest in a professional.

When I managed rental properties, cockroaches were endemic. Between occupancies, I'd sometimes have to soak the house in Diazinon 1%. However, it's been banned for residential use in Canada and the US for a decade; and Canada is phasing it out for agricultural use.

o

Duplicate.

This post was edited by worthy on Sat, Sep 7, 13 at 13:59

o

Don't freak out yet. They're not that bad sometimes. :)

Are you in the country or city? In the city it can be harder.

Every time you open up a wall or hole, put in large amounts of boric acid. You can puff it through cracks with a turkey baster. They get their toes in it and wash themselves and get sick and die. It lasts forever and if you put it behind walls and under cabinets, nobody who is supposed to be in your house will get into it.

Also, check with your local ag extension service--they may have suggestions for your particular area.

And remember, those egg cases could be 50 years old and the cockroaches may be long gone.

o

if you put it behind walls and under cabinets, nobody who is supposed to be in your house will get into it.

Hey Fori, would that work for my mother-in-law?

ba-dum-dhum-shish.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here