Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Interlocking window weatherstrip question

Posted by rjs20 (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 8, 12 at 14:15

The windows in the house have interlocking metal weatherstripping, similar to this, but the some of the sashes are loose in the grooves in the sides of the sashes. Is there a way to make them fit better? Otherwise the windows are in good shape.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Interlocking window weatherstrip question

My 1908 house has that in all the windows--except the ones I stupidly removed it before figuring out how to take it out for reuse. Several of mine were a little loose--but when the sash lock was used, they tightened up. If your locks are fitting right, you should be okay....

I haven't had to try this, but what about placing a piece of that bulb-type weatherstripping in the groove--or a piece of felt--maybe even duct tape!?

o
RE: Interlocking window weatherstrip question

Hi,
When I install sash that are already loose, I use a heavy cardboard (Ramboard) under the metal as a shim. If the frame is wider at the bottom or middle, you can correct that situation with shims too.
I learned about paper shims under metal weatherstripping on the first old house I worked on (weatherstripped in 1943, according to the workman's signature!)
Casey

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here