Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My technique for removing painted-over upper sash

Posted by graywings (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 3, 11 at 13:55

I have been having difficulty removing the upper sashes of my windows. Working on second story windows, I can't reach the top outside areas to break the paint seal between the sash and frame.

Even after removing the sash weights and parting beads, I could not get the upper sashes to drop. Trying to muscle them out resulted in my rocking them in and out, which damaged the side rails because the pulley mechanisms got in the way.

I read - somewhere - about a guy who attached a paint can as a weight to the sash to help break the paint seal and pull down the window. I adapted that trick using what was handy - sash weights and sash cord.

I drilled a pilot hole in the upper rail and then put in a screw. I knotted one end of the sash cord around the screw and the other end to two sash weights, and then I went to bed.

The next morning it looked as if nothing had happened, but the weight was apparently just enough to break the paint seal. A light tug on the sash pulled it down below the pulleys and it came out without damage.

I should have snapped a photo, but I didn't expect it to work.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My technique for removing painted-over upper sash

Great!

o
RE: My technique for removing painted-over upper sash

I'm replying so that this thread drifts down. I posted it to help someone who has a similar problem and searches this forum in the future.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here