Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Adding Height to basement?

Posted by wintertime (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 27, 07 at 13:47

I am looking at an older (1910) house to purchase. The house is a small 1.5 story with a full concrete basement. The basement ceiling is only 6 ft high. Too low to be usefull for anything other than storage.
I was wondering if anyone had experience lifting an older house to increase the ceiling height in the basement?
I saw it done once to a bungalow across the street from me and they were done in a week! The lift itself only took a day and they had the space framed and windows in in 2 days.
They also were living in the house the whole time.
Ideas, experiences, advice and costs would be appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Adding Height to basement?

I, too, have seen it done. Pretty interesting project to watch.

Don't know about the cost, though.

o

In a semi-detached, I've lowered the floor by having it dug out by hand, then buttressed the entire foundation wall.

I've also seen a large detached home jacked up and the foundation walls built up a couple feet before the house was eased back on them and re-connected.

Unless you're getting a really good deal on the property, or it's a prime location, I'd think long and hard about undertaking such a task.

Here is a link that might be useful: Old House, New Foundation

o

Holy Cow. I just spent the better part of an hour on that link. It was one of the most interesting things I've seen on a forum, ever. Thanks. Wow, I can't even imagine that renovation.

o

I have a 3 ft crawl and I am thinking about jacking up the house 5 feet to make a walk out basement. My quote was $30,000 for the house moving, building up the block and cement pour for the floor. Just the moving part was around 10,000. It is a relatively easy thing to do from what I understand. But I live near the shore where anytime people near the beach do a certain amount of work on a house, they have to raise it too. You would look in the phone book under "house movers". They are the same people that actually move houses around.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here