Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sharon_g_in_ma

Where do you shop? Let's make a resource list!

Sharon_G_in_MA
19 years ago

I have a '20s Colonial and most of the furniture in the stores and most of the kitchens and baths in the magazines just wouldn't work in my home. In particular I can't stand the foofy, overly carved hugely scaled pieces that seem to be increasing in popularity. Now in a Victorian they might be perfect (on a smaller scale), but for me and my home they are not.

I find myself repeatedly drawn to the simple lines and medium scale in stores like Restoration Hardware. It is such a cliche but I go there for inspiration again and again!

For lighting, if I don't go to Resto or Rejuvenation Hardware or maybe Pottery Barn I head straight to ebay, especially for chandeliers.

In my mind, because my home has such inherent (but clean-lined) detail, the last thing I want in it are pieces that take away from that. To me the big foofy furniture is better suited for newer homes that have less character and need a focal point.

A little crystal on a chandelier and a little bit of Louis (either XV or XVI), with everything else fairly simply lined, seems right for me. I seek balance in color, texture and materials.

What about you? Once you're done fixing it up, what do you put in it? And where do you find it?

Comments (46)

• norsk
    19 years ago

I also have a 1920's house.

Rejuvenation, Restoration Hardware, Pottery barn for lighting. Rejuvenation is my favorite though.

Antique stores for furniture (our guestroom is done in nice but not terribly expensive 1930's/40's pieces, as is our dining room). Also looking at Ethan Allen right now for new couches for the living room.

• irislover7b
    19 years ago

Rejuvenation for lighting and hardware; consignment, antique and junk shops for everything.

• corgilvr
    19 years ago

I live in south central PA now and there are lots of barns full of great junk for sale. York has a not for profit architectural salvage store that can not be beat for windows, sinks, tubs, hardware, etc. Wooden window sash with glass are $10 each. All sorts of beautiful doors are also available for very reasonable prices. I'd like to start going to auctions now that I've recovered from the kitchen renovation.

• glennsgirl
    19 years ago

We have a 1925 bungalow. We recently ordered lighting from both Rejuvenation and Schoolhouse Electric. The Schoolhouse lights are beautiful, and their customer service was excellent. Rejuvenation also has great customer service!

We got our kitchen hardware from Restoration and Horton Brasses. Horton is a small family company that is wonderful to deal with.

Most of our furniture comes from yard sales, antique shops, and family. I agree with you, Sharon, that modern furniture doesn't fit well in old house rooms.

• Janet
    19 years ago

Hubbarton Forge in VT makes gorgeous lighting. We have several fixtures/chandeliers from them. I also have some good finds from Sturbridge Yankee Workshop. Almost all of our furniture (with the exception of the upholstered sofas )is antique, collected over many years with lots of adventure.

• spacific
    19 years ago

Van Dykes Restorers has some good restoration stuff. Much of it is of Victorian era, but other eras are represented as well.

By the way, pheasantfarmer, we just purchased three pendants from Hubbarton Forge...they're beautiful.

• lauren674
    19 years ago

Our situation is different, as we moved into a full house cramming our stuff in while trying to pack up the excess family stuff left in the house from DH's family (this was his childhood home.) So we are caretakers of the family heirlooms and many of the pieces are very old and beautiful. My MIL was an antique collector who installed a a stain glass window and several light fixtures salvaged from an old catholic girls school. Our source for old door knobs and hardware is the old coffee cans in the workshop.

I did buy kitchen cabinet knobs from Hortons Brasses and strongly agree they are a wonderful family company!

• brandx30
    19 years ago

This is mainly of interest to those of you in the northeast as the company is based in Connecticut. Their inventory is obviously changing constantly and I don't know how often they update their web site, but for anyone who can afford to make the trip a visit here would make for a very interesting day. It is truely amazing what the have available. Obviously timing and luck come into play.
    www.unitedhousewrecking.com/

• Nancy_in_indiana
    19 years ago

In small town midwest, there aren't any nearby shops dedicated to restoration. But there are constant yard sales, auctions, rummages and my best treasures have come from them. At auctions - especially farm auctions - there are always several flatbed trailers loaded with "junk" from the sheds, barns and other outbuildings. It is amazing what has been stored away in the dark corners of these buildings. I don't think any farmer EVER threw away anything. Some items take lots of work to clean off years of dirt and rust but have gotten some beautiful hardware. Only problem is - they normally box up a bunch of stuff as One Lot so I am starting to accumulate boxes of "stuff" in the dark corners of the shed and basement. LOL.

• frenchgirl2838
    19 years ago

I found this guy in PA at an antique market. His stuff was always clean, fairly priced,( at least I thought so) and in working order. When I look at the catalogues and see repros that aren't as nice as his stuff, and the prices were similar or higher. Anyway, if you want to check out his site it's...www.eddonaldson.com

• norsk
    19 years ago

Yeah, United House Wrecking is really amazing. Also in Stamford, CT, on the south/east side of the train tracks/I95 is another area full of antique stores. If making the trip to United House, I would also visit this area.

• lobsterbird
    19 years ago

Rejuvenation and Hubbarton Forge for lighting. Crate & Barrel for table linens, quilts, rugs, pillows, glassware, and various accessories - I just love their colors! Garnet Hill catalog for quilts and sheets.

Thrift shops, flea markets, antique stores for furniture, art, frames, and pottery. We've used a couple of architectural salvage places for old doors and door hardware, as well as glass shades for sconce fixtures.

We have older furniture that's been in both my husband's and my family. The newest furniture we have is about 10 years old, and it took a lot of searching to find smaller scaled sofas and chairs.

The magazine "Old House Interiors" is a dynamite resource for everything - tile, fabrics, wallpaper, hardware, and on and on. Besides, they have great articles about period styles, historic homes, etc.

Tina

• corgilvr
    19 years ago

Ed Donaldson lives in my town! He has great stuff, but you can find everything he sells at local barns for a fraction of the price! If you are coming to this area, they are really worth a look.

• Vegasbound
    19 years ago

Antique markets, and estate sales. our upholstered furniture, like all the couches and such, we have made (we live in NC, where most furniture is made). I make all the window coverings,a nd have reupholstered some old wing back chairs and slip covered some other pieces.

Most of our house is furnished with pieces from estate sales and antique auctions. We still need a dinningroom table (we have antique chairs, hutch, and buffet), but can't find one the right size and styole. I think my husband will have to make one, using old wood from our antique architectural salvage yard. We might be able to work out a trade for part of the wood, as we have a numerous things we removed from the house (2 5 foot wide cast sinks with integrated dual drainboards, with their original sink cabinets, a couple old doors, matching pedestal sinks, etc).

• irislover7b
    19 years ago

There's an architectural salvage place in NC on Hwy. 17 just north of Holly Ridge. That's between Wilmington and Jacksonville. I don't remember the name. They have hundreds of old doors and windows and other stuff. I've never bought anything, so I don't know how the prices are.

• BreakerOff
    19 years ago

I found a terrific antique furniture company through their eBay auctions. AC Antiques. Now, they are selling a lot of their stuff direct. Shipping is terrific, and the delivery guys are nice, wholesome guys from Maine! (When I lived in NYC, one of the guys looked out the window and said with wonder in his voice, "Is that the Empire State Building?") Aside from their quality, they have a terrific guarantee. If the piece arrives and you don't like it, you just have them put it back on the truck and you get a refund (still have to pay for shipping though).

Here is a link that might be useful: AC Antiques

• Maggie_CA
    19 years ago

Ohmega Salvage in Berkeley CA. I've gotten two great doors there for very reasonable prices. They have some of their high-end and unusual items online. Also, oddly enough, Big Lots. I picked up enough mortise locksets to fix about half the doors in my house for $6 each.

• corgilvr
    19 years ago

Our town has a "clean-up" week twice a year. There are some pretty incredible things put at the curb. This year I found two hand knotted and well worn oriental rugs folded neatly at the curb. One man's trash......

• Carol_from_ny
    19 years ago

With two in college and only one of us working I hunt for what I need at gargae sales, yard sales and auctions. I'm in no hurry to get it all done.....I've also found that if you let friends and family know your looking for cetain things that one extra set of eyes and ears looking can often make the diffence between you find it now or later.

• lobsterbird
    19 years ago

Just visited the Crate & Barrel store last night and noticed that they have at least two sofas and chairs that are made with a smaller frame. They looked quite nice, simple lines, more of a contemporary look but would work in an older home if you have an eclectic mix of furniture. Didn't take note of the name or line of either, but the tags and signs promote them as small frame. I was wondering if this furniture is intended for apartments, older/smaller homes, or smaller people (like me)! I've never purchased furniture from Crate & Barrel, but I love their styles and colors. Does anyone have any experience with their furniture and have comments about its durability?

• frenchgirl2838
    19 years ago

corgilvr,
    I never got to any of the barn sales, I was always working and didn't really know my way around that well. Ed Donaldson's stuff was always clean and the restoration on the light fixtures and door knobs was impeccable. It broke my heart to leave my converted gas lights in the bathroom and the chandelier in the dining room I got from him. There was a great salvage in one of the towns around York too, and for the life of me, I can't remember the name. It was something like York restoration... York something. He had lots of plumbing stuff, bathtubs with the faucets and pipes still on, sinks, etc.

• corgilvr
    19 years ago

Ed's stuff is fantastic and ready to be used when purchased. He has an extensive website with great pictures if anyone needs anything. The last time I was at York Architectural Salvage, the old bathtubs were about $25. Old kitchen sinks with integral drainboards were the same price. York is very near to Gettysburg, so anyone thinking about a trip might want to make a detour and have a look.

• ShelleyKM
    19 years ago

Last year I gutted, restored, and added on to my 1916 bungalow kitchen. I worked hard to keep it period-looking. Got the original light fixtures re-finished and re-wired and supplemented them from the bargain room at Rejuvenation. Also got nice cabinet hinges and pulls from Wink's Hardware here in Portland, Oregon. Most of my furniture is from garage sales and fund-raiser rummage sales that I either stripped, painted, or recovered. It's pretty eclectic, but things seem to work.

• schoolhouse_gw
    19 years ago

Antique shops, second-hand furniture stores; and I like what Pottery Barn offers. I wish there was an architectural salvage place near me, in Ohio. The ones I found phone numbers for, had already gone out of business.

• sue36
    19 years ago

A lot of you have used Rejuvenation Lighting. Would you be willing to post pictures? I love their lighting, but it is so hard to make a decision based on a picture. I will start a new thread if any of you think that would be better. Thanks.

• Rudebekia
    19 years ago

We're fortunate to have several good salvage or architectural antiques shops in the area (St. Paul, MN). Like many bungalow owners, I've found that only smaller scale furniture works--and these are almost impossible to find commercially these days. No full size sofas; no king beds. My sofa is actually a loveseat--and fills up the living room. I have furnished the house mainly with antiques.

In repairing an original pedestal sink, I stumbled upon a great website for antique plumbing supplies, sinks, and such: www.vintageplumbing.com.

• frenchgirl2838
    19 years ago

bump

• bulldinkie
    19 years ago

Where is this ed guy we do alot of antique shopping I probably met him and dont know it.
    We buy all ours antique shops,we go on vacation we shop at antique stoes too,I found my big farm table in Virginia while vacationing.
    All our restoring this hardware,hinges etc were from Nace shop in S.C.Pa thats all they do restore homes.You can get anything there.The father had business for years now the son has it,partner with another fellow.Beautiful work.

• frenchgirl2838
    19 years ago

The ed guy is in PA, if that is the ed guy you're asking about, bulld

• bulldinkie
    19 years ago

I know you said Pa where in Pa?Im in Gettysburg area.

• frenchgirl2838
    19 years ago

I used to see him at the Renningers Antique market north of Reading. I think that was the name of it but I can't remember what town it was in. I did post his website above. eddonaldson.com

• BreakerOff
    19 years ago

Outwater has great stuff too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Outwater

• chemgal
    19 years ago

Does anyone know of any salvages anywhere around Cleveland?

• schoolhouse_gw
    19 years ago

Chemgal, I'd like to find an architectural salvage yard,too. Last year I found phone numbers of two in the Akron area, but when I called, they were no longer in business. Please let me know if you discover one.
    By the way, I'm in Wayne County, down Wooster way.

• Jonathan
    19 years ago

Period Lighting, for lighting: http://www.periodlighting.com/

The Windsor Chairmakers for furniture: http://www.windsorchair.com

--Jonathan

• cjra
    19 years ago

Antique stores. Even though we have an 1890s Vic, I don't really like typical victorian furnishings (too foofy for me). Fortunately, most of the antique stores and auctions around here have more Mission style, or arts and crafts furnishings.

• Blooangl
    19 years ago

Maxwell Street Market, here in chicago, every Sunday morning (No, it's not a good as it used to be, but it's still pretty good), the alley, White Elephant, and Salvage One...the Antique Store strip down on Lincoln Avenue has some great stuff as well, and Rejuvenation for light fixtures.

Anybody else in Chicago have good local sources?

• frenchgirl2838
    19 years ago

Brimfield antique market ( in MA) sometimes has a selection worth looking at. Sometimes they are so overpriced I could choke though. Not the same stuff I've seen years ago, either.

• sooz
    18 years ago

Looks like a good thread and didn't want to see it scroll off, so *bump*

Smiles,
    Sooz

• sarahandbray
    17 years ago

Any new places people want to share??
    -sarah

• lisa98112
    17 years ago

Most of our sources are already listed. Our new furniture came from Crate & Barrel and Costco Home (we're lucky enough to have the flagship store nearby). Most is older pieces we inherited from family. We also found a nice piece at Hold Everything. Costco Home has stuff similar to Restoration Hardware at a fraction of the price. Lighting is a mishmash of salvage, Rejuve, Seattle Lighting, and Restoration.

All of my paint colors have been color matches from Restoration. The earth tones work well in our 1915 Craftsman. Now we just need to figure out exterior colors and find a painter.

Oh, and now that I'm almost done with the interior, I need to work on window treatments. I can't stand metal miniblinds or busy drapery. Might have to suck it up and just spend what it costs for wood blinds.

• solferino
    17 years ago

Why am I so excited that no one's posted my favorite hardware source yet? Must be a slow week...

I love Crown City Hardware. They carry some antique hardware and tons of reproductions. You can check out the selection online but, believe me, the hard-copy catalogue is worth the price. Someday I'm actually going to get down to the Los Angeles area to visit the store.

Here is a link that might be useful: Crown City Hardware

• kec01
    17 years ago

For us, it's VanDykes.com for hardware, ClassicAccents.net for switchplates. We're in Oak Park IL and we swear by Cavalier Lighting at 4400 N. Ashland for any period's light fixtures. In St. Paul, MN it's John's Antiques on W 7th for light fixtures. We do the salvage and house demo auctions route,too. Are we the only ones that pick up other people's "garbage"? Have gotten windows and doors that way.

• solferino
    17 years ago

Kec01, I also pick up people's discards. Last year I was a "dumpster monitor", ensuring no one was dumping paint, dirt, whatever other random waste was prohibited, when my neighborhood did a trash day. I picked up so much cool stuff that people were pitching. I had to get my husband to bring me a set of screwdrivers so I could remove a bunch of Bennington doorknobs from some doors someone dropped off... also tons of window hardware, a couple of nice pieces of Victorian cast-iron fencing. One man's trash... you know what they say!

• oldhometara
    16 years ago

I don't have any resources to add yet, but this was a good thread so I'm "bumping" it.

• johnmari
    16 years ago

When I was "oldifying" my previous house, a 1994 Cape, I shopped at Bradbury & Bradbury (bradbury.com) for wallpaper, Rejuvenation for lighting, vintagetub.com (FANTASTIC customer service) for plumbing fixtures, ebay for accessories, Horton Brasses for door pulls.

Now we've bought an old house (1900 Eastlake Victorian, albeit stripped naked and modest to begin with) I'll be back to all those companies, and soon I'll be headed down to Architectural Salvage in Exeter NH for parts for our broken mortise locks (I may have to buy the whole lock and scavenge the parts we need; it would probably make more sense to replace the whole thing but I'm sentimental about the parts that have been there for 107 years). He's a little expensive though. In a few months I'll go up to Old House Parts in Kennebunk ME, and check out the rumors of a Habitat ReStore in Portland (Maine, that is).

jfpegan.com (who also sells on eBay as jfpegan) sells restored antique and handmade repro lighting at good prices. I picked up two slightly battered pan chandeliers at a yard sale this last week (15 bucks for both!) and when I'm a little more flush I'll send them off there for repair and restoration, which they also do.

I'm not sure if I've seen anyone mention Bathroom Machineries (deabath.com). Sort of a mediocre website but they have things no one else does.

Sadly, where I live (SE NH) the Arts-and-Crafts-that's-not-Mission ;-) furniture I love most is a rare critter, at least on the lower budget end. I've heard the Skinner "Discovery" auctions in Bolton MA have cheaper, less-fancy things; it's about an hour and a half drive but I'd rather bring something wonderful home from that than something from Ikea, which is the same distance in a slightly different direction.