Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lavender_lass

Does anyone have a vintage kitchen?

lavender_lass
13 years ago

Does anyone have a kitchen that has the unfitted look...hoosier cabinets and vintage appliances? Maybe hutches and free standing pieces? I've been looking at some really neat retro appliances and wondering if any of you have this style of kitchen?

There's a really cute range in this issue of Country Victorian, p. 63. It's a Direct Action gas range and I'd love to find one :)

Probably much more money than I could afford, but it's so charming...and I love all the ovens.

Comments (10)

• worthy
    13 years ago

You don't have to go that far back for vintage. Try the 1940s-70s at Retro Renovation.

• sombreuil_mongrel
    13 years ago

Hi,
    The co. I work with did one such kitchen. It's in a 1897 house. Link below.
    Casey

Here is a link that might be useful: Edith Walker House

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    13 years ago

Hi, lavender, I love your idea of unfitted kitchens--I wish my kitchen was big enough for an old 1920's gas stove. I'd use it just for storage, but I don't have an appropriate place for it to stand alone.

Our house was built in 1927, so I'd like to incorporate some of that decade in our remodel. I've been calling it a kitchen FACELIFT, but we keep saying, 'Well, while we're at it, we might as well...' AND, I keep finding wonderful ideas on GW, so one thing leads to another...

I love the cabinet styles of the 20's and 30's--inset doors, iron latches, corbels that appear to support the uppers, the 'transition' style between free-standing hoosier-types and built-in banks of separate uppers and lowers from the 40's. I've been scouring ebay and craigslist, torturing myself by looking at vintage appliances that I can't have, but I love the pics!

worthy and Casey, great links!

Since my kitchen is not vintage, here's a pic that has something for everyone--I'm imagining by Kitchenaid mixer instead of that monster on the counter.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    13 years ago

I found another pic--this one has a woodstove in the corner.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Mama goose- Great pictures!

This isn't really vintage, but I'd love to have a kitchen like this. It looks like an english cottage kitchen...especially the beams and the Aga :)

Here is a link that might be useful: English cottage kitchen

• ideagirl2
    13 years ago

Lavender, I love that kitchen! I'm so happy to see white and wood cabinets (i.e. the cabinets + the Mock Hoosier) next to each other and looking so good! It's something we're considering, didn't know how it'd look, it's great to see that it works.

And my god, the Aga FRIDGE! I didn't even know they made fridges (maybe it's UK/EU only?). It looks so cool!

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ideagirl2- Check out the Aga website, they make many appliances and you can get them here. They have free brochures you can order, too. Have fun! :)

• columbusguy1
    13 years ago

I've attached a link to my favorite site for real interior pics from old houses--not decorator fantasies, but things we might actually be able to afford. :)
    I have a '20s gas stove, but can't use it because the oven thermostat is broken--any ideas where I can get it fixed?

Here is a link that might be useful: Old Interior Pics

• sayde
    13 years ago

How old is "vintage."? Our house -- English tudor-cottage -- was built in 1927. We are keeping all of the original gumwood cabinets. We've taken them all out and are restoring the doors, making new insides and new rails and stiles from new gumwood. We are using period correct materials for the most part -- not entirely. New appliances, new low voltage lighting. It will have a kind of English/Belgian/industrial feeling.

• bulldinkie
    13 years ago

I bought an aga because I thought it would look old,it does.I have a black 4 oven,