Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Exterior Boston Shutters

Posted by milele (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 28, 11 at 12:12

Hello Forum,
I am in the process of purchasing Exterior Wood Shutters. We previously bought HD ($~100/pair) pine shutters and they did not last 1 year. I would like to pay for quality (I have 7 windows). I can find only Brosco primed pine shutters in the area I live (Boston metro). They do not look particularly good and/or sturdy (better than HD ones though) and they cost ~$189/pair.
1) Do you know of any dealer who sells good wood product in the Boston area? I can drive up to South of New Hampshire, too.
2) My 1st floor window frame is recessed into a brick wall. How can I properly installed the shutters? Do special long pintels exist? In my area nobody has hardware off the shelf. Any website I can buy them from?
Thanks in advance

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Exterior Boston Shutters

Here is a link to a great site for Old House owners--giving the history of how you house works, and how to do things right. A great page on windows and another on shutters!

Here is a link that might be useful: Old House Guy

o

I read the article in the past. It is a great find. Thanks.
I still would like some information about "where to buy the shutters and the HW", though. Which is the most important thing :)
Can you help?

o

When you said shutters & NH, Beech River is the name I remembered from years ago on OHJ. I've never bought from them, but if I remembered the name from 15 years ago, I must have been impressed!

Keep us posted.

Here is a link that might be useful: Beech River

o

Here is one company that came up in Pennsylvania:

http://www.timberlane.com/about-us/contact-us/

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here