Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tgaito78

Roofing Issues

tgaito78
10 years ago

Hello all, new to site, new to an old house...

Home was build roughly around 1850 in New England.

My project started with getting a fireplace insert in an older fireplace. Was told to get a mason because the chimney needed to be rebuilt from the roofline up.

Mason wanted a roofer to verify that he would be able to work on the roof with his staging/materials/workers, etc.

Now, roofing company comes in and claims that my roof is hazardous due to spans between joists, some bowing of the span, etc. I'm told the whole roof needs to come down, a new one be installed, and a support beam from the basement all the way to the roofline.

I have some termite damaged on a few of the exterior roof boards which was sistered by a previous owner, as well as the peak joist (sorry, don't know the technical name) was sistered.

There is also a metal tie rod connected to a roof joist and to a joist of the floor. According the roofing guy they did this so that snow weight wouldn't push the roof out of the house. Additionally there is a support column (hollow) from the roof peak to the floor too.

The roofing guy says both should be temporary fixes, not permanent solutions. Also said that if I brought in the local AHJ they would probably evict me and my family for a hazard.

I'm concerned that #1 I got my self a lemon roof and didn't dig deep enough @ the sale, #2 it should be taken seriously and I'm going to need a new roof whether I want it or not, #3 these guys are looking at this as an opportunity to scare the *&^% out of me and make some money when it might not be so dire.

Funny thing is this started as a favor from the roofing company who is in a networking group with the mason and fireplace installer.

I can provide pics or measurements if needed, I'm just at a point where I need a sounding board.

Comments (5)