Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What style is this old house?

Posted by Jeff321 (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 12, 11 at 11:35

Hello:

Hello. We just took the real estate plunge (again) and are a little confused about which way to go as far as decorating style. We think its a Tudor Revival with a Center Hall Colonial interior. Built in 1927 in New Jersey. Would appreciate your suggestions and advice.

Here is a link that might be useful: 1927 Tudor Revival?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What style is this old house?

I think you pegged it. What a cutie pie! The sloping asymmetrical roofline definitely makes it Tudor Revival. I had a series of 1920s romantic revival homes and made use of a lot of oak and Arts and Crafts pieces (English and American both).

o

Thank you jakabedy. Of course, all of the molding in the house is painted white. Not sure we are up for removing it at this point. Certainly changes the feel of the house.

o

Love, LOVE the exterior, but where are the other pictures!! ?? That's just a tease.. need more!

o

Thank you! Here are some more pics of the inside just prior to our move in.

Here is a link that might be useful: More pics

o

Gorgeous floors ! Certainly has a lot of potential. Really nice landscaping. Hope you will post as you see to the updates inside. c

o

Don't worry about the painted trim. My houses all had painted trim and the old oak stuff looked great with it.

o
RE: What style is this old house??

Don't worry about the painted trim. My houses all had painted trim and the old oak stuff looked great with it.

o

Jeff, nice house...of course, you could do a wash over the existing trim to make it appear like aged English oak rather than strip it all. Just a thought. A lot of styles would work, from elizabethan to craftsman...but I wouldn't use rococo victorian, or modern.

From the pics, I'd start with the kitchen--that looks like a totally 70s or so update, and doesn't work with the house! It should appear more like furniture pieces than one mass cabinet front. The ceiling fan definitely has to go. Looks like you have plenty of space, so I'd say you don't need to alter walls or go crazy...just some different style cabinetry to tie it in more with a tudor look.

Good luck!

o

I agree that it is a Tudor Revival, and a very charming one!

o

Cute house. I'm very familiar with that style. I wouldn't strip the wood--some houses built in that era, like mine, have always been painted right from the start.

Your doors are very classic early Art Deco, common in that style of house. You may or may not have early Art Deco hardware scattered about, meaning door handles and such. Those doors do look great stripped, even with--maybe especially with-- white molding, but either way they're great.

Your kitchen would not originally have been separate pieces, but painted built-in cabinets.

There are several styles you could use with that house. I guess you could get away with sorta craftsman, but don't go overboard--Craftsman was over by that point. Colonial revival is fine. You could also use a few Tudor-y elements like barleytwist legs.

Check out some of the interior shots on Antique Home Style.

Here is a link that might be useful: Antique Home Style--Look for '20s interiors

o

Hi Jeff321,
What a gorgeous house! We have a lot of 1920's tudors in my neighborhood, and for the most part everybody decorates with comfortable traditional furniture with a few antiques (English goes well, or french country) and modern art to spice things up. I noticed your wall color - the green - looks a bit cold in your traditional house - when you choose paint colors you might try warmer and muddier colors to give softness to your older house. I am not a decorator, but that's my experience through trial and error.
Thanks for sharing your pics and congratulations!

Fuzzy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here