Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Installing foam insulation in shingle style house

Posted by elsewhere (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 26, 11 at 11:33

I have an old 1890 era shingle style house with a finished 4th floor (cathedral ceiling, 8" rafters). As it's time to reroof, I'm getting estimates for putting insulation up - there is currently no insulation in the roof. I'm comparing 1) foam boards with R15 put in cavity at time of shingling, 2) open cell foam insulation (about R32) with an all roof ice & water barrier, and 3) closed cell foam insulation (up to R38+) with no barrier. I'm in a cold, wet climate.

My questions - are 2) and 3) preferable, despite the much greater cost? would 2) present a problem with vapor condensation?

And finally, what are your experiences, if you have insulated a similar home?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Installing foam insulation in shingle style house

Your insulation is below minimum recommended R Values. See charts in this thread.

Ice and weather shield should be on the roof, running from the eaves to three-six feet up the roof. It has nothing to do with R Value, but protects the roof against ice damming.

Since you're re-roofing you could well consider insulation both above and below the sheathing.

Finally, sealing your home will do as much or more than increased insulation levels to make your home more energy efficient. (See Link Below)

Here is a link that might be useful: Attic Air Sealing Guide

o
RE: Installing foam insulation in shingle style house

Thanks for the advice, I'm in zone 5 with a Cathedral ceiling - R30-38 is recommended.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here