Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Inside a closet and hidden behind a wall........................

Posted by jiggreen (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 21, 10 at 11:07

We found an exterior door! The best part is, that it is EXACTLY where we wanted to put a door! We had no idea this door was there, it is covered over on the outside with the siding, and on the inside at the rear of the foyer some PO had made a coat closet (also the door to the cellar was in this closet, on the right side...) We could tell that the coat closet was an add-on, so we removed it...and something about the back wall looked funny to me......

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

We will eventually remove the siding to expose this door on the outside also. Long term plan is to use this "new" doorway to connect the summer kitchen to the house via a breezeway.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Inside a closet and hidden behind a wall.....................

Isn't it cool to find things in an old house!!!!!

o

What a find!!!!!!!!! Not as exciting as a door, but when we were looking for ways to improve drainage in one spot in the backyard, we found the original brick patio complete with a drain - all under 9" of soil.

o

Too cool! What a great old door. This is one of the many reasons why I love old houses. :)

o

I think it is wonderful that you found this door.

When I was suggesting changes to my DH's cape, he told me that where I wanted to put doors was where they were originally located. It somehow seems logical and I guess that is what you are discovering with YOUR house.

Good luck with your reno. PLEASE keep the forum current with your progress bringing this old house up to date. Or back to the future?

o

It great to find things in these old houses. It is such a wonderful treasure hunt.

o

WOW - that IS exciting - and, nothing to do with your door find, but I am glad to see we're not the only ones who do our restoration/renovation work in our plaid pajama pants ... HA HA HA

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here