Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is This Cedar?

Posted by Old_Home_Lover (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 9, 12 at 11:05

We just put in an offer on an 1875 kind-of-Italianate-kind-of-not. It needs a lot of work but the plaster was in terrific shape on the walls and the wood inside was solid as a rock. There had been serious water damage and leaking to the roof, but the floors beneath are unaffected and the exterior appears to be about 12 inch thick brick. I am told the man who built this house used all cedar in a time before a blight destroyed all of the cedar in Western PA. When I mentioned this possibility to my mother she asked about bugs and I told her that surprisingly enough, in an old house standing empty for four years I couldn't recall seeing even a spiderweb though I ran my hands all over the sills and such. She says it probably is cedar because cedar doesn't rot and bugs don't like it.

1) Is this true? Because seriously I would pay the purchase price JUST to have a house that naturally repelled bugs. Living in East Texas and waking up to spiders and scorpions is not my cup of tea.

2) Can you tell from the pics if it is cedar or definitively say it is not? I am just interested to know, it wouldn't affect our decision but it's a question I have and the seller's don't know.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is This Cedar?

Here is a pic of the ceiling where they knocked out the plaster and lathing *cringe*

o

And finally the attic window. Mostly because I love the attention they paid even in the attic!

o

I'm no wood expert so can't help with your question but would love to see more photos of this house including exterior. How exciting.

o

Looks to me like it is Douglas Fir which is also fairly naturally rot resistant in it's own right

o

I can't think of any reason it would be cedar and it doesn't look like cedar but it does look very much like fir, a common lower grade flooring material often used under floor coverings.

o

it looks kind of like cedar to me, that hue. hard to tell though, as aged wood takes on a deep hue on its own. i'd be tempted to scrape some from underneath and smell it.

o

I still say it is Douglas Fir. I have not seen cedar used interior for a flooring especially T&G as it is quite soft and was never really manufactured as a flooring product.

o

Thanks so much for all the replies! Whatever it is it is definitely rot resistant. The place has been rife with leaks for years but no apparent damage to the floors like I would expect and have seen in several other old homes.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here