Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
boops2012

Got a chance to do salvage in an old house, any tips?

boops2012
9 years ago

Friend has some property with a house that will be demolished, he is giving me a chance to go in do some salvage. We will be safe and wear appropriate safety gear. Any other tips? Not sure of the condition of the home or if it ihas anything of value left in it but it is early 1900s. If nothing else, it would be cool to see.

Comments (10)

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

Done that ... we regularly (and illegally) scavenged stuff from some condemned houses.

TOOLS to remove the booty:
    A selection of wrecking bars and thin pry bars for removing molding and mantelpieces.
    A battery-operated sawz-all and a couple of fully charged batteries
    Wire cutters
    Molding saw
    Screwdrivers for removing doors
    Selection of pliers
    Hacksaw for pipes (cut pipes and remove whole sink, disassemble later)
    Hammer and small rod for tapping out hinge pins
    Good flashlights
    A couple of stepladders and kitchen stools.

Tools to ID the booty:
    Tape and colored tags
    Digital cameras
    note pads and pencils

Tools to haul the booty away:
    A truck or van
    Padding material
    Moving dollies and hand trucks
    Boxes
    Ropes and pulleys in case you find a marble sink on the 3rd floor and have to slide it down the staircase.

Plastic zip-lock bags and a permanent marker

==========
    Start at the top - in the attic if there is one - and flag all the booty you think is worth removing and take a snapshot of it or write it in the notebook. Give it a colored tag, taped on and an ID number.

Meet at the bottom and briefly discuss what's there and the plan of action.

Start at the top of the house, strip each room ceiling to floor. Start with lighting, work down to baseboards and door trim molding. Don't pry on one end to remove trim - you will break the wood. Get a bit of an opening and coax the wood away from the wall evenly ... work back and forth.

Many cabinets were built into houses ... If you find a pretty one that won't budge, first remove any trim along the walls and see if the nails are hidden under it. If you can't figure out how it's attached, take the doors and the face frame and shelves if you can. Usually you can pry the face frame loose and rebuild the cabinet carcase.

Windows - remove the retainer trim (makes the slot a double-hung window slides in), then pull the window into the room, repeat with the other half.

TIPS:
    Put all outlet covers and screws into a zip-lock bag so they don't get lost. Same for cabinet knobs ... make a set of knobs with screws.
    Label the bags!

Don't waste time trying to ID brass plate from solid brass - take it and ID it later.

Pack fragile things (light shades) as you remove them.

Tape molding into bundles, nails to the inside, for safe transport.

Take the banister and staircase out LAST and make sure everyone is down the stairs before you do (don't ask me how I know this!)

• jmc01
    9 years ago

Whether or not you think you'll be able to use them, take all original light fixtures. If you don't use them, ebay is your friend.

lazy gardens gave a great list.

• boops2012
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow. Thanks so much. Thought I had a plan but you have added a new level of organization. Thanks again. I will post what I find.

• energy_rater_la
    9 years ago

great list!
    I'd add metal blades for sawsall...forget
    the hacksaw!
    and lineman's pliers to pull nails through the
    moldings...don't try to hammer them out...
    pull nails straight thru moldings.

best of luck.

• worthy
    9 years ago

That's a thorough listing.

Besides or instead of the typical handtruck get an appliance handtruck--ones with a ratcheting strap. Invaluable for your lifetime--and beyond.

Add heavy-duty gloves, steel-soled shoes, goggles, dust masks or respirators if you're chipping out paint. Also, bring a first aid kit and be sure your tetanus innoculations are up to date.

This post was edited by worthy on Sat, Sep 13, 14 at 10:50

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

And how many of us did this without permits or approval?

I came face to face with a real police dog on one salvage project ... froze to avoid provoking the dog. The cop said, "Oh, it's you guys" called his dog and left.

Apparently we weren't as sneaky as we had thought. But we always left the houses secured and "safe".

• energy_rater_la
    9 years ago

LOL!
    my neighbors talk about an elderly couple who went
    on vacation. when they came back their barn was gone.
    dunno if its true...maybe just a rural legend!

• worthy
    9 years ago

No legend, I'd bet!

A while back, the urban version here was to case out apartments in nice areas. When the tenants were away on a weekend, "movers" would enter and clean out the place. Neighbours thought nothing of it.

• tim45z10
    9 years ago

Drill motor with a flat bit.

• waterbug_guy
    9 years ago

I like nippers for pulling nails thru trim from the backside as energy_rater_la said.

I like wooden handle loppers for cutting copper/aluminum wire and even copper pipe.

I like an aluminum grain shovel for scooping loose stuff and as a dust pan. Moves a lot and little falls off.

I like a long, min 5', thicker diameter the better, digging bar, one end pointed, other end chisel to use as a lever when needed. It isn't often needed but can really move a lot of weight.

I often sawzall to cut framing member nails. Fast and leaves no nails sticking out. The nail heads are easy to remove, tap with a nail set/punch to back it out a bit and pull. The point end is hard to remove but most of the time can just be left in place.

Nothing more fun imo.