Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Restoring Pine Kitchen Floor

Posted by maureeninmd (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 4, 08 at 10:10

The kitchen floor in my 1930s colonial is covered with several layers of vinyl and who-knows-what. I have not lifted it all up yet to investigate as I am afraid I won't be able to get it back down.

I know there are pine floors under there because I can see from the basement that the wood matches the wood in the rest of the house EXCEPT the smallish nails that show through every 6 inches.

What do you think was nailed down to this floor? Do you think these floors are fixable?

Thanks!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Restoring Pine Kitchen Floor

What was nailed down (and may, or may not, be still there) is some kind of floor covering. Anything from early true floor cloths or linoleum - it was in narrow strips compared to modern materials- to some other underlayment as padding for your resilient flooring.

Be aware, though that some types of old resilient flooring contain asbetos, as does some kinds of the mastics (glue) used for sealing it down. Not cause for abandoning the house, but defintiely cause for awareness, possibly testing, and very careful, informed, handling as you remove it.

The nail holes will either need to be filled, or ignored.I personally woul go for ignoring, but people have different tastes in this.

Some older pine is very difficult to refinish if what you have in mind is a smooth, glossy, gym-type finish. Old pine, unless you sand the bejabbers out of it and risk thinning it down too much can have very uneven absorption of finishing chemicals, inlcuding stains, sealers, oils, etc. IT would wise to do a test patch in a hidden place to see how yours react. A friend of mine redid his old wide board pine floors with pure tung oil, with a stain mixed in. It came out pretty blotchy because the stain didn't absorb evenly. It would have been better to use a clear, or untinted product.

HTH,

Molly~

o

Thanks for the info - I was wondering what type of flooring it was as I thought that linoleum was glued down, not nailed. I guess I won't really know until I rip it up!

o

If the flooring turns out to contain asbestos, I would leave it for a professional to remove and haul away acording to EPA regs. I would not want to mess with that stuff.

Another concern: If the floor was painted (not unusual for its vintage), the paint probably contains lead. Very difficult to remove safely.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here