Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is My House Old Enough for This Forum?/Sealing Brick

Posted by monicakm (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 26, 09 at 10:08

:) I got here buy reading a "how to clean brick" on the Cleaning forum. Our home is 28 years old. Over the years the Texas sun has slightly faded our brick. I'd like to apply an enhancing type sealer to it to deepen the color. We've used sealers (solvent and water based) on various stone applications IN the house so I'm wondering if there are exterior brick sealers. Again, I'm looking for an enhancer (usually solvent based) that will deepen the color.
Thanks,
Monica

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is My House Old Enough for This Forum?/Sealing Brick

Make sure it is vapor permeable and specifically intended for use on face brick. Just Google vapor permeable brick sealer.

Here is a link that might be useful: vapor permeable brick sealer

o

There are also stains specifically designed for brick to help with color issues. Just search for "brick stains" and you'll find a lot of info - Diane

o

We did this on our house in TX as well before we sold....newer place than yours :) Old and new brick fades in texas LOL But we didn't find an enhancer, instead used a stain and then did a seal. This was at the advice of our neighbor who had done the same to his place. That texas sun is brutal!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here